Fix Leak Around Skylight Window

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
rchesterton

Fix Leak Around Skylight Window

Post by rchesterton » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:37 pm

There is a water mark that has appeared in the ceiling of my living room right under the skylight. I cannot tell where the leak is, but I can only conclude that it is either around flashing or around the actual glass of the window. Best way to detect the leak and repair? How would you go about this?
Attachments
IMG_4417.jpeg
IMG_4417.jpeg (250.16 KiB) Viewed 130 times
IMG_4416.jpeg
IMG_4416.jpeg (240.55 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Shannon

Re: Fix Leak Around Skylight Window

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Unless you actually get water dripping you will likely not be able to track it down.
If you do get actual water dripping then use a garden hose and work from bottom to top running water from the hose around and on the ski light.have someone inside watching for the leak. water small areas at a time for a minute or so before moving on.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Fix Leak Around Skylight Window

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:58 pm

I agree, it's tough to trouble shoot skylights.

Be systematic in HOW you apply water to the skylight, start with only running it over the glass to test the glass seals. Then spray water with force against the vertical sides of the lite, this will test the seal of the light to the light well, and finally, running water around the perimeter of the light to test the flashing.

Other than the moss, I don't see anything of concern in your pix. Moss growth can cause deterioration of the flashing, so you may want to remove and treat the area with a moss-icide.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.