Installing dog ear pressure fence

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Invest777

Installing dog ear pressure fence

Post by Invest777 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Whats up guys,

I'm about to install a pressure treated dog ear fence and i would be installing the pickets individually. I was just wanting to know what type of nails should I use? The pickets are .75 inch thick and I'll be connecting them to 2x4. I was thinking a 2 inch nail.

I wanna use my rigid framing nail gun, that I believe take up to a 3.5 inch 16d nail if I'm not mistaken.

A. Spruce

Re: Installing dog ear pressure fence

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:24 pm

I've not heard of pressure treated 1x material, are you sure that it isn't just stained crap wood to make that crap wood look like redwood or something other than what it is?

If it is truly pressure treated material, then you need ACQ rated nails. 2" nails will be sufficient for a 3/4" board
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:12 am

My bad. It said premium treated rather than pressure treated. Well I guess I was more concerned with the diameter of the nail rather than the actual length . I believe my nail gun to take 16d nails so I was planning on using those

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:58 am

Ya that is very common here . It’s like all our deck boards treated to resist moisture but not impregnated into the board so it can be used in contact with the ground.

16d is fine but like Spruce said they must be ACQ rated.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:58 pm

Framing nailers should shoot everything from 6d or 8d up to 16d. An 8d nail is about 2-1/2", and that's all you need for a fence picket. I would not recommend ring shank, they hold great, which is the problem when you have to make repairs and want to save the pickets. Also be careful on your drive depth, you want to just seat the nail, any further and you actually reduce the structural capacity of the picket, which makes removal without damage later much more difficult.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:54 am

Don’t forget to treat the dog ear cuts and any other cuts you make.
These pt products are best left un stained /painted for a season to weather a bit. The new finish will last longer that way.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon