BEST WAY TO ADD OVERHANG TO END WINDOWS

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
polaris26

BEST WAY TO ADD OVERHANG TO END WINDOWS

Post by polaris26 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:16 am

I am having some siding replaced, and in the process I want to add some sort of awnings or overhang to better shield the end windows from the weather. My house was made in the early 1960's and has a roof that has no overhangs on the ends. There is only one end with windows like this.

One possibility is pre-made aluminum awnings that would cost approx. $550 for a pair. I would like the style to be in line with the age of the house, so the modern types are probably out of the question.

Another idea that my builder mentioned would be some sort of small side roof (I'm not sure what the technical term would be) but essentially a roof-like overhang about 20" deep attached to the side of the house just above the windows (about the same height as the overhang in front). I'm not sure how this would look though - perhaps a hip-style would be best for this option?

I know it is also possible to extend an overhang beyond the end of an existing roof that lacks one, but I'm guessing this would be most expensive option, and due to the distance between the peak and the tops of the windows, might not even offer much weather protection.

I'd like to hear from anyone with ideas regarding these or other possibilities (pros/cons of each, etc.) I will attach a pic of the existing house end for reference. Note also for what it's worth that the windows are not perfectly centered on that wall.

Regards,
Dave
Attachments
DSC_0042.JPG
DSC_0042.JPG (158.87 KiB) Viewed 337 times
DSC_0040.JPG
DSC_0040.JPG (167.94 KiB) Viewed 337 times

Shannon

Re: BEST WAY TO ADD OVERHANG TO END WINDOWS

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:27 am

The simplest will be the aluminum awnings. The small roof above both windows will require removal ,cutting and re application of siding to tie in properly and flash properly and it will also be a much bulkier structure to make it sturdy enough to properly hang there for years.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

polaris26

Post by polaris26 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:06 am

Hello Shannon - thanks for your response.

As I mentioned I am having the siding replaced, so the awnings will be installed at the same time as the new siding.

I am having difficulty finding aluminum awnings that match the style / vintage of the house.

So far the "Brookside" model from General Awnings seems to be the closest to what I want, and their stock sizes are too large for my 32" windows. Based on the pricing for stock sizes, I am guessing the cost will probably be at least $300 each for a custom sizing.
Screenshot_2019-09-09 Brookside Window Awning with Flat Side Panels.jpg
Screenshot_2019-09-09 Brookside Window Awning with Flat Side Panels.jpg (122.29 KiB) Viewed 245 times

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Regards,
Dave

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:36 am

Do they offer a size that would cover both windows with one awning?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:37 am

Also these are pretty simple products . If the over sized ones are too large I bet you could resize them yourself if it’s cheaper to buy standard sizes.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Shannon wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:37 am
Also these are pretty simple products . If the over sized ones are too large I bet you could resize them yourself if it’s cheaper to buy standard sizes.
I was thinking this same thing, but if you look at how it's done, you can't just remove a "slat" of the awning. You'd need to have one in hand to inspect to see if it could be modified easily enough with basic hand tools.

I do suspect that it could be modified fairly easily, but without seeing it in person, that is not a call I can make.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.