Shed

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Phillies Phan

Shed

Post by Phillies Phan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:19 pm

I have watched your video a number of times on building the 6x8 shed and learned so much that I'm embarrassed because I thought I had the experience to do it but I learned so many small details from you. So, thank you very much.
I want to build an 8x10 shed Do you have a video on on getting the foundation ready for building. My thinking is using three 4x6 treated skids on slanted ground (about a one foot drop) on top of about 6" of 3/4" stone. I would use 2x6 treated lumber for the foundation. Should I or do I need to anchor skids to the ground perhaps by driving cement reinforcement rods into the ground?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

A. Spruce

Re: Shed

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:51 pm

It is not ideal to have that much slope and have the shed be free of its moorings, especially if you're prone to frost heave. I would be inclined to set piers below the frost line and build on top of those.

As for support, I would have three across the width and four along the length, for a total of 12 points of contact with the ground. On top of that, you then use 2x6 or 4x4 "skids", then frame your floor and shed over that.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:30 am

Most sheds here are just sitting on the ground. Our ground freezes every year and we have a lot of gumbo dirt here. I have never had to reset or level my shed although it would be very easy on solid ground. Yours is going to have to sit up on blocks or piers and may not be as easy to reset if you needed to in future? Concrete piers below frost line is a good idea but drives up your cost pretty good on a shed. I'd be tempted to try those twist in pile anchors on the furthest outside end of each skid and then use some pavers in the middle of the span. If you use three 4x4s as your skids has all you will need.IMO
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pylex- ... 1001312349
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mrmike

Post by Mrmike » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:13 pm

where can I source the roll up door shown in your video

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Many big box stores have them or can order them ,Have you checked with your local store yet?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Mrmike

Post by Mrmike » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:27 pm

I note that you are in Saskatchewan. I'm in Winnipeg. I have seen anything at Rona or Home Depot

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:32 pm

Well have you looked online. My local Rona shows them available when I look online.
Vicwest is another likely source. These are getting super common so I bet if you ask around you will find them. My local Home Hardware stocks a few and can get them right away when needed.