Freezing Bathtub Drain -- how to improve exterior insulation

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Robbo

Freezing Bathtub Drain -- how to improve exterior insulation

Post by Robbo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:15 am

I have a bath tub drain that froze solid twice last winter, and want to improve the insulation (we live in Minnesota). The tub drain pipe freezes but not the water inflow. Tub/shower is located at an exterior corner, so two of the shower walls are on exterior walls, and the plumbing is clearly on an outside wall with no interior access panel. I assume the tub drain connects to sink drain, and the sink works fine all winter.

I am looking for ideas/best approach, potential trouble spots and advice. I am certainly not an expert with this type of repair.
a) should i create an interior access panel and work from there? (this is difficult because toilet is
immediately outside the shower)
b) is it better to work from the outside?

I am able to access the area of the house that is directly outside where the tub drain freezes. Behind the j channel vinyl exterior siding i see what appears to be house wrap over rigid foam panel insulation. Not sure what is behind this. House was built in 1982, and we just purchased last year.

Ideas or Comments welcome

A. Spruce

Re: Freezing Bathtub Drain -- how to improve exterior insulation

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 am

Not surprising that you'd only have trouble with the tub drain, and this is due to design. A sink drain has the trap, the curvy part of the pipe that holds water to seal the pipe against backflow of sewer gas. A tub has this same trap, only it's under the tub and exposed to exterior ambient temps, so when the crawlspace gets below freezing, you're going to have issues with the drain. Odds are you don't have problems with your supply lines because they're insulated and/or protected more from freezing temps.

Not sure what kind of "cold weather" things are available, I would think that at least wrapping the pipe with a good amount of insulation would help, as would adding a heat tape around the trap area. This is the benefit of living in a warm climate like I do, I don't have to worry about such things. :P :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 pm

So do you have access from below the tub?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Shannon i don't have easy access from below tub, perhaps other than from the ceiling below. The tub is on second floor above family room.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Chances are you will have better luck working from the inside (under the tub) but you could try from outside first to avoid maybe having to cut the drywall down stairs. There must be a real problem with the insulation and our air/vapour barrier in that corner. Drafty areas can cause freezing problems if pipes are too close.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon