Window Installation

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
MrFixIt1977

Window Installation

Post by MrFixIt1977 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:07 am

Hi Shannon,

I'm planning to install 1.5" Comfortboard Rockwool insulation over my sheathing & housewrap. When installing the windows and doors, I see 2 methods of finishing; Nailing flange to the sheathing and trimming the windows out with PVC board, or spacing the window out with 2-by (bucking?).

I see the first option to be easier to seal but tedious and more expensive, and the 2nd quick and easy but more difficult to seal.

Am I correct? Do you have a preferred method?

Thanks

Shannon

Re: Window Installation

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:09 pm

I prefer the second method . Quicker ,easier ,cheaper . In the first option keeping the seal between the pvc board and window maintained is a pain. I only use that method if the windows are existing and not being changed.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

MrFixIt1977

Post by MrFixIt1977 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks for the response!

If the windows are properly flashed prior to installing the PVC board trim (as you would if there wasn't any comfortboard being installed) would I even need to seal between the window and PVC trim?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:47 pm

Well in my opinion we need to do everything we can to keep water out. Our intensions are always good but all it takes is one bad spot to start a disaster .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon