Why does my chimney not having a flue, and how can I air seal it

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
amitt

Why does my chimney not having a flue, and how can I air seal it

Post by amitt » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:34 am

Hi,

I went on the roof to try and seal a crack that may have caused a water leak through the chimney last year, I did ended up filling it with mortar seal, but I also noticed that rain may be able to penetrate from the sides of the cap in case there's wind.

Since we are not planning to use the fireplace , I wanted to just seal the whole thing from the top and I found online that simple sheet metal with silicone would do it, in addition to placing the existing cap back.

However, it seems like my chimney does not have a "flue" , perhaps because someone filled mortar around it, or maybe it was build this way in the 60's, and the cap was attached using a twist screw somehow to the inside on the chimney.
Is this a common solution to attach the cap like this to a screw that seems to come from the inside of the chimney?

Why don't I have a traditional flue , and how would you seal that whole thing so that air would not escape and water will not get in?

Thanks for your help,
Amitt
Attachments
2 (Medium).png
2 (Medium).png (677.34 KiB) Viewed 255 times
1 (Medium).png
1 (Medium).png (892.77 KiB) Viewed 255 times

amitt

Re: Why does my chimney not having a flue, and how can I air seal it

Post by amitt » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:55 am

Actually, I just found that they sell these kind of caps with "inside mounted anchor, so it works even when the chimney doesn't have a raised flue line."

https://chimneyproductsinc.com/products ... l-5-8-mesh

If so, then how can I air seal it with this anchor screw is in the way?

I wanted to put the existing cap back just because it seems to be connected better than wat I can achieve with sheet metal and some silicone.

Thanks,
Amitt

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:40 am

Why not drill a hole in the middle of the flat metal you purchased so the bolt can pass through it and then use that existing cap to also help hold it in place
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

amitt

Post by amitt » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:34 pm

Thanks Shannon I was thinking about that too, but I was worried that the sheet metal will sag in the middle where I drill the hole, and it will essentially create a funnel of water right into the middle of the chimney.

Do you have a smart way to make sure that water doesn't fall through that hole? I guess I can dump some silicone there, but this area gets really hot in the summer, it will get cooked pretty good...

Thanks for your help!
Amitt

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:17 am

Thread a nut down the rod so the metal sits on that nut and cant sag .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

amitt

Post by amitt » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Great thanks,

now I just need to buy and go up there with all kinds of nuts in multiple sizes so that I may attempt to do it in 1 climb :)

Thanks for your help