Garage Lighting

Ask your electrical related questions here
Teliu4

Garage Lighting

Post by Teliu4 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 am

Since I get to rebuild my garage to my specifications I have been looking at new lighting. I have a 2 car garage, 20'x20', about a 12 ft ceiling, with a 16 ft door. Looking at putting in two 4' 4 or 6-lamp fluorescent fixtures on each side of the center chain, towards the outside tracks and towards the entrance, and two 4' 2 or 4-lamp fixtures across the width behind the door opener. Do I need the 6 lamps? Or just go 4 all the way around? 35 watt or higher? 5000K or 6500? I'm tired of crappy diffused yellow light from a 4' 2-lamp garage light and want to be able to see. My old eyes aren't helping things.

emtnut

Re: Garage Lighting

Post by emtnut » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:56 am

If it were my garage, I'd go overboard with the lighting, and have 3 -4 switches so I can control how many come on. That, or at least leave a couple of junction boxes so you can easily add more lighting if you want it.
For a garage I'd go 6k

And you can also add dimmers if you're getting a sunburn in there :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Forget fluorescent, absolutely go with LED lighting!!!

I installed 96-inch (8 feet) long high-output fluorescent tube lights in my garage. Although they start in the dead of winter (as they're supposed to), but they are dim. And the 8-foot tubes are awkward and fragile to deal with. They're nice and bright the rest of the year, but then I think they take a lot of power.

Of course I installed these lights like 5 years before LED lighting become super cheap, bright, and reliable. Typical... had I known LEDs would really take off as they did, I'd have started off with just simple and cheap keyless lampholders and upgraded later.

Just look for LED strip lighting. Often the diodes themselves are integrated in the fixture, so you just mount the fixture and you're done--there's no bulbs at all to deal with.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:34 pm

LED is definitely the way to go! Brighter, more reliable, cheaper to run, not as harmful to you or the environment.

I would also go 6K in the garage and like Nutzy suggests, more is better. I really like the idea of having switchable zones, that way you will always have the amount of light you need, whether it's just enough to cross the garage or light of day for working in the dead of night. 8-)

Something to consider as well would be exterior lighting needs, especially if you'll be closing up the walls with drywall or plywood. Add exterior lighting and outlets, you'll always want later if you don't do it now. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:10 am

Yes I agree here you want LED. I would go three rows 16' long (4' double tube fixtures) 5 feet apart . 5000-600K and no less then 18 watt. And of course 3 switches. You may even want an extra unit or two over areas where you have work benches or tools.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon