Fastening 14/2 wire to stud

Ask your electrical related questions here
Kfry

Fastening 14/2 wire to stud

Post by Kfry » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:16 am

what is better to use to fasten 14/2 wire to studs and joists staples or nailing strap or any other suggestions

Thank you very much every everyone

Shannon

Re: Fastening 14/2 wire to stud

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:35 am

I personally like the staples better but I notice most electrician around here use nylon nail straps. Im not sure if its just because they cost less ? I find the staples easier to handle ad use.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:16 am

The materials are regional. Here in the midwestern US, the nylon nail straps are very common. Over on the east coast of the US, particularly New England, they tend to use wire staples with protective plastic sleeves that SORT OF act as a stop. In the southern states, wire staples with no protective sleeve seem common.

My favorite are the Iberville-brand staples with the stops from Canada. The only caveat is they come in different lengths and widths depending on the number of cables you're stacking under a staple, and you must use the right one for the right application. These are only available in Canada, and because they are only CSA-listed, they technically may only be used in Canada.

Regardless of what fastener is used, the cable must be fastened within 12" of a box, and no more than 4 feet between fasteners. If a cable goes through a hole in framing, that hole is considered a "fastener".

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:47 pm

I guess it is a regional thing. Around here, if you see the nailing strap (the nylon) it's assumed it was a DIY job.

The good thing about the nylon, is it's not as hard on the cable if you hammer it on too tight.

I like the staples, if you use them, remember that the cable should be somewhat loose in the staple when it's installed. (same with the nylon)
It's a know fire hazard if the staple is too tight. After years of expansion and contraction, the cable can short out.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:15 pm

emtnut wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:47 pm
I guess it is a regional thing. Around here, if you see the nailing strap (the nylon) it's assumed it was a DIY job.
Not here, all the resi electrical contractors use them. They literally have buckets of them on jobs.
emtnut wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:47 pm
I like the staples, if you use them, remember that the cable should be somewhat loose in the staple when it's installed. (same with the nylon)
It's a know fire hazard if the staple is too tight. After years of expansion and contraction, the cable can short out.
Yes for sure... the cable should be able to slide freely through the staple or strap. Its only job it to keep the cable next to the stud or joist.

Kfry

Post by Kfry » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Thank you everyone for your expertise its greatly appreciated

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:32 pm

Yes around here locally I see most electrical contractors using the nylon strap anchors.
And yes the Canadian staples with stops are my choice
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon