Switched Outlet

Ask your electrical related questions here
mr.eman

Switched Outlet

Post by mr.eman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:08 pm

I want to install a new circuit/outlet controlled by a switch connected to a small air compressor in my shop. I've seen two different ways to do this but not sure if both are acceptable options or one right, one wrong.

The first has romex running from panel to outlet then a second piece of romex is run from outlet to the switch. In this case, the two black leads in the outlet box are wire tied together and the white is connected to both the hot and neutral side of the top outlet and used as a hot going to the switch. The white is marked with black tape at both the outlet and switch ends to indicate it's use as a hot wire.

The second version I've seen is just the opposite of this. The romex is run from the panel to the switch and a second piece of romex goes from the switch to the outlet. In this case, the two white neutrals in the switch box are wire tied together and the two blacks are connected to the two screws on the switch (the same way a light is wired to a switch).

I know this should do the same thing but are these both correct to code? Thanks.

Shannon

Re: Switched Outlet

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:22 am

Yup either of those should work fine. If it is a fairly good sized compressor that draws a lot of Amps on start up you may want the circuit to be on a 20Amp breaker and to use 12 gauge wire.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mr.eman

Re: Switched Outlet

Post by mr.eman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks for the very quick response. I was hoping that would be the answer. Wiring to the switch first and then to the outlet will use half as much romex as going to the outlet and then all the way back to the switch (which is located near the panel). As for now the compressor is small and would easily be handled by a 15 amp circuit. I'm planning on future upgrade ability though so already purchased 20 amp breaker and 12-2 romex for that circuit. Always better to have more overhead room and not need it than to not have enough when the time comes and have to re-do the entire circuit. I have a couple of other questions so I'll be back as I get to them so thanks again.