installing a motion light switch

Ask your electrical related questions here
Invest777

installing a motion light switch

Post by Invest777 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:24 am

Hi shannon , I'm working trying to install a motion light switch for my bathroom, the problem is that ive got 14 gauge wire,but the switch is set for a 12 gauge wire, with has that extra load wire, but in the instructions it says the switch can take either or, the switch has a place for the ground, black, and load 'red'wire, but with 14 gauge wire there is only a black, white, ground, how do I direct the wires or should I just get another switch, thanks

Shannon

Re: installing a motion light switch

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:35 pm

If all you have for existing wires is 1 ,14/2 wire coming to the switch then the white wire should have had some black tape on it because it will be a hot wire as well in your wiring set up. Hook up your ground then hook the black wire to black and white wire to load. If this does not function correctly then reverse the black and white positions. Let me know how it worked out.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:32 am

Ok here's exactly what ive got, I got two switches by each other ,one for the light, and one for bathroom vent fan, inside the electrical box I see 5- 14/2 gauge wires coming down into the box side by side but one coming from the bottom.Now both of the switches is not grounded to the switch, but it seems the person took all the grounds from all the wires and tied and bolted them together,same goes for the white wires, all of them are tied and bolted together. Now that leaves all 5 hot wires left, one for every 14/2 gauge coming down into the box, both the light switch and vent fan have 2 hot wires connected to them,now follow me close, out of those 5 hot wires 3 of them are bolted together,the other two is connected to a switch each, ok so it look like there two pieces of cut hot wire that was bolted to the other 3 which those two are coming out of the bolt and connecting to one switch each, is this proper, because I would've definitely grounded the wires to the switch. So I tried the same setup which is connecting both hot wires to the switch , and the light just stays on, I played with the settings on the switch but the light just stays on from the moment I turn the power back on from the breaker, wish I can send a pictures but it says file to big, but anyways thanks fo any of your help

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:38 pm

Ok so the "jumper" wire coming from the 3 wires connected together is the hot wire. The black wire on the existing switch is feeding the light . So I would say the "jumper" should go to red , the black to black and then you need a jumper from the whites to the white on the motion switch, and of course you will need to jumper a ground over to the switch as well. That is the only way I can see this working.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DBCooper

Post by DBCooper » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:28 am

Invest 777, did you get this taken care of yet? If not, I can walk you through it.