Outlets

Ask your electrical related questions here
pavlito24

Outlets

Post by pavlito24 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi everyone!

Just I want to know if the electrical code do some mentions about the distance (minimum and maximum) between outlets?. And the distance for the floor?

And somebody do you know the reason?

I live in Ontario.

Thank You !!
:mrgreen:

Shannon

Re: Outlets

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:51 am

I do not know the exact code on spacing of receptacles because different areas like to slightly tweak the codes to satisfy there demographic but basically no more than 12' apart (I like to use 10') ,6 feet from any corner and I believe any wall in a room that is at least 4' long needs at least one. Exceptions are Hallways, utility rooms ,garages, pantries. Counter plugs are also special generally you need a plug every 4' and 2' from the end of counters, and within 2' of each side of the sink.
As for height , again this could vary but usually 12"-18" of the floor to centre for lower plugs, and 48" off the floor for counters.
Please do check with someone in your general area who can say exactly what is required so you do not fail an inspection.
The main reasons for spacing requirements is to reduce the use of extension cords and easy access height wise for both handicapped and non handicapped persons alike.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

pavlito24

Post by pavlito24 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi Shannon for all your responses!!!

An others questions about outlets

1.What is the purpose of having plug next to the panel?
2.At home I also have connect to the circuit the door bell. So the circuit witch is 15amp is only for those thinks (plug and doorbell)?
3. Can I add 3 light witch a switch at this circuit?

Thanks again. I appreciate your help

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 pm

That plug is for service reasons, the other breakers can be turned off but that one can be left on so electrician has some power for a service light or tool while they work. Now a days it seems a little silly with all the cordless tools and flash lights but I believe that is what it is for. I would not add anything to it, you have lots of space in the panel so just get a breaker and run a new circuit.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon