FPE Stab-Lok Breaker Panel

Ask your electrical related questions here
nickmurarik

FPE Stab-Lok Breaker Panel

Post by nickmurarik » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Boo. I bought a house with a FPE Stab-Lok panel. If you don't already know they have a habit of faulty breakers that catch fire instead of tripping. It's also missing blanks. :-P

I have a Square-D Safety Switch.

There is a GE (sub?) panel.

Here's my questions:

My GE panel does not have a main breaker. The knock-out is still in place. (No picture.) It is wired directly to the fused side of the safety switch. Is this ok? Is this panel required to have it's own main breaker? (NEC?)

I'm going to be replacing the FPE panel soon. I'm probably just going to combine GE and FPE panels together instead of having two.

Suggestions? http://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-B ... bm30Z5yc1v
Attachments
Poor quality picture. Sorry.
Poor quality picture. Sorry.
NCM_0263.JPG (56.38 KiB) Viewed 667 times
FPE
FPE
NCM_0286.JPG (88.48 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Shannon

Re: FPE Stab-Lok Breaker Panel

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Not all areas require sub panels to have their own main ,especially older services. As for the sub being hooked to the fused switch , i believe that is ok but you are best to check with a licences electrician in your area. For your new panel be sure that the new panel has more than enough spaces, plus a few extras. I see you have many circuits in this one panel and then once you add in the sub panel you will need a big panel.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon