Basement electrical plan

Ask your electrical related questions here
Billybojangles

Basement electrical plan

Post by Billybojangles » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:13 pm

Hello

This is a great site and I've learned so much! I was wondering if I can get some help looking over my basement electrical plan for any issues.. Also, I'm in MN so any specific code issues would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a Visio drawing of the current and proposed changes.
Attachments
basement - electrical.jpg
basement - electrical.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 771 times

Shannon

Re: Basement electrical plan

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 am

Every area seems to slightly twist some code to their own specs ,so you are best to consult a local electrician. I am not a licensed electrician. It was a little hard to fully read the drawing but from what I seen things look pretty good. I believe you will need to put your bedroom plugs on a arch fault interrupter breaker, All the plugs in the bathroom should be GFCI as it looks like they are all less than 3 feet from the sink and I'm not sure that the bathroom really needs to be 20amp. Double check with someone locally for more info. thanks
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Billybojangles

Post by Billybojangles » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:27 am

Shannon wrote:Every area seems to slightly twist some code to their own specs ,so you are best to consult a local electrician. I am not a licensed electrician. It was a little hard to fully read the drawing but from what I seen things look pretty good. I believe you will need to put your bedroom plugs on a arch fault interrupter breaker, All the plugs in the bathroom should be GFCI as it looks like they are all less than 3 feet from the sink and I'm not sure that the bathroom really needs to be 20amp. Double check with someone locally for more info. thanks
Thanks for the response and info Shannon.. I will definitely check with someone locally for any code issues! Just want to expand my knowledge before I do so..

Does this look better?

Bathroom:
New 20 amp GFCI circuit for outlets located in wet wall (one in bathroom and two located in rec room) and exterior wall.
New 15 amp circuit, 14-2 romex wiring for lighting and exhaust fan

Bedroom:
New 15 amp circuit, 14-2 romex wiring for lighting
New 15 amp AFCI circuit and 12-2 romex for bedroom outlets

Rec room/outside utility room:
Current 15 amp circuit will be reconfigured, 14-2 romex for lighting in Rec room and hallway.
New 20 amp AFCI circuit and 12-2 romex for outlets

Under stairs:
New 20 amp AFCI circuit and 12-2 romex for media components under the stairs

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Bathroom: The plugs on the other side of the "wet wall do not ned to be GFCI , I was looking at the plug in the bath across from the sink. If there is a chance of reaching the sink and the plug at the same time then it needs to be GFCI . ( Code is 3 ft from any sink)
Other than that I think you are ok.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Billybojangles

Post by Billybojangles » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks again!

Billybojangles

Post by Billybojangles » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:19 pm

How do I handle the rough electrical inspection on an existing circuit that needs to be reconfigured? Currently the basement light circuit runs to a switch and then to three lights. I need to remove those three lights and connect recessed lights instead.

Do I just run the wire from the recessed lights to the switch but leave it outside the box until after the rough in inspection? Or dismantle the whole circuit back to the panel?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 pm

To be honest i can not say for sure. In my area there is never a rough in inspection, only a final.