Adding Dimmer to 4-way switch setup

Ask your electrical related questions here
stayathomedad

Adding Dimmer to 4-way switch setup

Post by stayathomedad » Fri May 30, 2014 9:32 am

Hello Shannon!

Let me first say that I am here because of the YouTube videos you post to your channel and I think they are are great. Thank you.

Anyway, on to my question:

I have recessed lighting in the ceiling of my living room that has 3 switches you can use to turn them on/off from those 3 locations. I believe this is called a 4-way switch setup, but not sure. We would like to add a dimmer switch to these lights on one of the switches. My question is this: How do I find out which switch to put the dimmer on? Do I need to replace the first switch in the series and if so, what do I look for in the box that lets me know I do indeed have the first switch?

Thanks in advance!

Shannon

Re: Adding Dimmer to 4-way switch setup

Post by Shannon » Fri May 30, 2014 2:39 pm

The best way to know if you have the starting end of the line of switches is this: turn off the power, take the switch out of the box, if the box has a 2 wire coming in and a 3 wire coming in, this could be the right one If it has 2 , 3wires coming in move to a different switch. When you have a box with 1 ,2wire and 1, 3 wire remove the black wire from the common screw ( dark coloured screw) and place a marrett on to it. Turn the power back on and test that same wire to see if it is powered up. If it is then this should be the first switch in the series. if it is not then you have the last switch in the series.
Here is a drawing of two ways to add a dimmer to a 4 way switch series.
scan0009.jpg
scan0009.jpg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 431 times
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

stayathomedad

Post by stayathomedad » Fri May 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Awesome! I just got it hooked up and it is working perfectly. We got lucky and the switch we wanted the dimmer on was one of the 3 way switches. Thanks again and it is much appreciated.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Great ,I'm glad you had no trouble
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon