Square D breaker panel... where is ground bar?

Ask your electrical related questions here
Dani

Square D breaker panel... where is ground bar?

Post by Dani » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:34 am

Hello I love your vids and I watched the one on installing a breaker. My 200 amp square D breaker panel doesn't look like the one in your video. There are 2 ground/neutral bars on the left side and 2 ground/neutral bars on the right side also. 1 of the 2 bars on the right side has a green screw and there is 1 main ground for the panel attached here but there is also a redundant main ground attached on 1 of the two bars on the left side that doesn't have a green screw. All four bars have a mix of grounds and neutrals attached to them by the electrician. Can you tell me how this works? Should grounds and neutrals be terminated together? The box in your video keeps them completely separate. I hope you can shed some light on this because I'm wondering if I install a new breaker where does the ground go and where does the neutral go? This box was installed professionally two years ago and there has been no diy activity so I'm guessing there is a logical explanation.

Shannon

Re: Square D breaker panel... where is ground bar?

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:14 pm

In older boxes I have seen ground and neutrals mixed because they had no dedicated ground bars, I have not seen a newer box this way but different areas sell different boxes I guess. It all should be fine, attach your ground the same as what you see in the box you have.
I am not a licensed electrician but maybe someone who is following our forum can shed more light on the actual specifics of your situation.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon