Running an Armoured Cable and Connecting a Dryer

Ask your electrical related questions here
veda

Running an Armoured Cable and Connecting a Dryer

Post by veda » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 am

I want to install a 2nd dryer in the basement of a commercial building. The basement is not open to public. I would like to run an armoured 10/3 cable to a panel located in another room, on the same floor, 40 feet away. A armoured cable for the 1st dryer runs on a wall and the ceiling to that same room. Walls and ceiling are all cement. The ceiling is 9 foot high. The cable of the 1st dryer is attached with metal brackets solidly screwed in the cement.

Here are a few questions:

I am not an electrician. Is it possible to get a work permit in Ontario to do the work myself? If yes, does the work have to be inspected and approved by an electrician?

The panel is not in the same room. The dryer will be connected to a receptacle. Do I need to install an additional switch box next to the dryer?

The ceiling cement is very hard and difficult to drill in. Can I attach the 2nd cable to the 1st one with something like tie wraps or metal wire?

Thanks

Shannon

Re: Running an Armoured Cable and Connecting a Dryer

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Well, as far as I know you will not be able to take out an electrical permit for a commercial building yourself unless you are a licensed electrician.
A separate shut off should not be needed other than the breaker in the panel for that line.
If you tied the new wire to the existing it would not pass inspection 9/10 times so I would take the time to drill the holes and anchor it securely on its own.
Great bunch of questions, thanks for coming here with them.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

veda

Post by veda » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for the quick reply. The info is helpful. I will probably take the chance and do the job but will anchor the cable properly. The building will be demolished in a couple years and replaced with a new one.

I watched some of your youtube videos such as the one on circuit breakers. They are very well done and informative. You are a talented, generous and inspiring fellow.

Wishing you the very best!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Thank you, and good luck with your new cable.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon