outside outlets

Ask your electrical related questions here
60frontenac

outside outlets

Post by 60frontenac » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:44 pm

I'm planning the electrical for my garage project. A couple of questions hopefully someone can answer.

The dimensions are 40 by 60. I was planning on 3 plugs along the back (60') wall spaced approx 15 feet apart. Is that distance within code? (Ontario)

I am sticking to 8 receptacles per run just to be on the safe side, with the outside boxes on a dedicated circuit. Do I need to put GFI plugs in each box or will one at the first box of the run meet code? (the rest standard 3 prong plugs)

Lastly, outside lights. Do they require a dedicated circuit or can they be mixed with inside and outside electrical plugs?

Many thanks, and the vinyl siding videos are fantastic.

How about one for building a set of stairs?

Graham Lloyd

Shannon

Re: outside outlets

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:50 pm

Welcome Graham,
Parts of the electrical codes are constantly changing the last 3 years and it is hard to keep up, and I am not an electrician by trade so you are really best to contact your local Permit authority to be sure on these questions. As far as I know All receptacles in the garage must be GFCI protected and must have tamper proof shutters, but as long as the first receptical in each circuit is GFCI TP then the ones after it can be standard TP receptacles. As far as the spacing goes usually a garage can legally get away with much greater spaces between receptacles than a home but 3 plugs on a 60 foot wall sounds like an awful long distance even just for convenience sake, for the cost of a few more plugs,boxes and vapour seals I would add a few. I personally recommend no more than 10' apart .
Your outside plugs again Need GFCI TP plugs just like inside and they must also be weather proof.
I tend to keep my lights on separate circuits from GFCI plugs because for some reason occasionally the GFCIs tend to trip when some switches are used . If I need to have the lights on the same circuit then I will use a GFCI breaker instead for that circuit as they do not seem to have the same tripping problem.
I hope this helps , but I would still double check with your local office to be sure. A stair building video maybe a good idea, maybe I can fit that in this winter sometime? Thanks for the suggestion.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon