14-2 14-3 question

Ask your electrical related questions here
delabeaux

14-2 14-3 question

Post by delabeaux » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:49 pm

First, thanks for your previous responses, they got me wired in for a 3 way switch.

New subject, how can I identify the hot wire vs. the light wire from a switch box with 14-2 and 14-3 wiring.

This will be on a 3 way switch.

I'm wondering if I can just hook it up and see if it works, and if not, swap the blacks.

I'd go into details as to why I'm doing this, but that's be a few paragraphs!

Thanks!

Shannon

Re: 14-2 14-3 question

Post by Shannon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:24 pm

Use a micro meter to test for 120v on each wire.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

delabeaux

Post by delabeaux » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Hello,

If I have power for both wires what does this indicate?

Previously, it looked like they were on a 3 way switch. However, any way I wire it in any configuration between black powers as point and red switching around doesn't seem to work.

Any direction is appreciated!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:33 pm

So you have a box ,and in that box there is a 14/2 and a 14/3 wire. And right now when nothing is hooked to them both black wires are hot? What was in this box before?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

delabeaux

Post by delabeaux » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:48 pm

I had a friend help with finishing my basement. He did all the electrical, and then had to move....

Anywhoo, leading into my basement is my stairwell, then a door to the basement. At the bottom of my stairway into the basement, there is a double-gang box. Looking at the box, the switch on the right operates the stariwell light on what looks to be a three way switch, and the switch on the left used to turn on the preliminary wiring in the basement.

We since dropped a sub-panel and all lighting is ran off of this. Thus the stairwell light switch on the left no longer worked. When you walk in to the basement, there WAS a single switch to turn on the main room lights.

I put in a three way switch and removed the wiring from the previous three-way switch (at the bottom of the stairs, on the left). So, now the switch at the bottom of the stairs works as a three way switch to turn on/off lights from either in the basement or at the bottom of the stairs.

What was left was the three-way (I think) switch, at the bottom of the stairs, on the right... 14-2 and 14-3 wiring. Not knowing which black was supposed to be the point wire, I wired in the 14-2 black as point, 14-3 black on same side and the rest as customary. On testing it powered the stair light for a few seconds and then turned off. No combination I've tried between the two blacks as point and red seem to work to get me lit. I don't pop breakers and power is hot when on through both lines.

Thoughts, suggestions before I call the pros?

Thanks for any direction.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:53 am

Test those black wires to figure out what is power. The 14/2 wire I'm sure must be the actual supply line. Unhook the wiring completely from the switch and then turn on breaker ( be careful) and test each colored wire for 120v power with a multi meter. If the power comes from one of the wires in the 14/3 wire then if you switch the other 3 way switch upstairs the power should change to the other coloured wire in the 14/3. If that is the case then you know that the 14/2 is only going to the light from the switch. Let me know what you find.

delabeaux

Post by delabeaux » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:36 am

Hello.

So, the 14-2 pulls the 120v. I've been wiring the 3-way switch as follows.

1.) twisting together the grounds and using a green ground nut with a whole in the top and attaching this to the green on the switch.

2.) twisting together and capping the white neutrals, pushing them back in the box.

3.) then attaching one of the blacks to point, the other black on the same side and the red above the ground.

4.) testing with any combination of blacks on point, red on point does nothing. I swapped out my 3 way switch in case of a bad switch, same thing. I tried Red on point because at the top of my stairs is a triple gang box with 3 switches... far left=(works), middle=top of stairs switch (doesn't work now), far right=stairway (doesn't work now).

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Well the 14/2 black (hot) wire should be on the black coloured screw. Then look at the other switch for this circuit and note where the black and red wires From the 14/3 are attached , go to the switch down stairs and place those same wires on the opposite screws as they are upstairs. If that does not work please post a picture of that box upstairs so I can see the wiring.