put a ceiling fan in a ceiling with no electric box

Ask your electrical related questions here
phamonjr

put a ceiling fan in a ceiling with no electric box

Post by phamonjr » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:04 pm

There are several rooms in my house that has no fixtures in the ceilings. I want to put ceiling fans in them. How would I do this?

Shannon

Re: put a ceiling fan in a ceiling with no electric box

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:06 am

So the actual electrical Box and wiring for a light is there but no fixture?
If this is correct then all you need to do is start by turning off the breaker to kill the power, then make sure the octagon electrical bases are secured well in the ceiling. Next wire the fan to the existing wiring as the instructions that come with the fan show. And finally anchor the fan securely to the octagon box. turn on the breaker and test the unit.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

phamonjr

Post by phamonjr » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:56 am

No there is no wires or boxes at all. I would have to put allthat in.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:58 am

Well this would be better left to and electrician, because of the fact you need to actually add complete circuits to the home. Be prepared to possibly have some drywall patching to do after the wires are all pulled in. Depending on the type of fans you chose some can be remotely controlled so switches may not be necessary in that case only octagon boxes in the ceilings and wires pulled to them.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon