Electrical Recommendation

Ask your electrical related questions here
supperfly17

Electrical Recommendation

Post by supperfly17 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Hello, so I am almost done framing my basement. I have been recommended to do electrical first, before plumbing.

Shannon, in Ontario we get ESA to inspect our work, how many times do they come in, just at the end or for rough in as well?

Also, is there a website or a book you would recommend for a DIY homeowner to help with doing the electrical in the basement? Looking for something step by step.

This is the electrical i will be doing in my basement:

-fan for bathroom
-two bathroom outlets, plus two lights in bathroom
-16 potlights in the basement
-Approximately 10 outlets

Thanks.

Shannon

Re: Electrical Recommendation

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:09 pm

I could not say for sure ,I think many places have a rough in and final inspection. In my city we only have a final. When you take out your permit they will outline when you should call them for inspections.
I recommend my website and YouTube channel of course! LOL
The most up to date book I have is "Wiring a house" 5th edition by Rex Cauldwell. I just recently purchased it by recommendation from one of our knowledgeable forum followers here and I got it through Amazon. Its pretty good and is up to date with NEC 2014. I also like "Wiring" 7th edition published by Creative Homeowner but I believe it is not completely up to the latest codes. As I have stated many times in this forum it seems many areas modify some codes to fit their own certain circumstances so you do need to do a little research to see the accepted methods for your area.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:04 pm

You got that book! Great! (I have an older edition, I need to get the up-to-date one you got.)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:29 am

So I just borrowed Cauldwell's Wiring a House 5th Edition from my public library. Brand new book on the shelf, never been checked out before. As comprehensive as the book is, an omission I noticed, even in this latest one, is any talk about vapor barriers.

It seems vapor barriers are a much bigger deal in Canada than in the US probably owing to the colder climate. We use them here in Minnesota, obviously. Cauldwell resides in Virginia, where perhaps they don't use them?

My DIY store here has plastic electrical boxes that offer vapor protection but they also stocks those flanged poly "pockets" that you install around, say, steel boxes. (They're Iberville and made in Canada.)

Just goes to show you can't rely on a single source of information. You need to gain information from diverse sources, particularly from practices in your own local area.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:18 am

Yes that is right, asking questions or checking your own local government used codes is important.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon