furnace room light to be placed on a switch

Ask your electrical related questions here
jackson3

furnace room light to be placed on a switch

Post by jackson3 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:33 pm

Currently the light in the room is a pull switch light. Upon finishing the basement the requirement is to place it on a switch. Can I take the feed line from within the octagonal box and add an extension to the switch box (wire nut together etc) then have a wire from the switch box back to the light?

I then need to add one more light for the same room on the circuit so perhaps I may need a larger octagonal box for code as i'll have 5 14-2 wires entering/leaving the box (as there is one wire currently coming out of the box to a receptacle for the water heater). I'll check on that in the meantime, but I just wanted to make sure if I could run the line from the box and back or if that is not permitted.

thanks

Shannon

Re: furnace room light to be placed on a switch

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:43 pm

All you will need from the light to the switch is one 14/2 wire. At the existing light unhook the black wire form the light. Hook that black to the black of the 14/2 going to the switch. At the switch hook the black to the bottom screw and the white to the top screw. Make sure to identify that white wire as a hot wire at both the switch and light ends by wrapping some black electrical tape on it. The power now comes from the 1st light box to the switch via the black wires and when the switch is flipped runs in the white/black wire back to the light to turn it on. So now at the 1st light you need another 14/2 wire going to the 2nd light. At the 1st light pig tail the white/black wire from the switch to a jumper black wire (that goes to the 1st light fixture) and to the black wire coming from the 2nd light. The white wire from the 2nd light gets pigtailed to the white wire from the main power supply and also put a white jumper in there to the 1st light. Oh ya I forgot about your line at the 1st light heading to the receptacle , it should be in those pigtails as well or you could feed it from the second light octagon box . That would get rid of some wires from your first box as well if you need to reduce the amount in it.
Hope this all makes sense .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jackson3

Post by jackson3 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:28 pm

yes, that makes sense. i'll give it a shot.

jackson3

Post by jackson3 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:49 pm

ok, that's done.
thanks

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:33 pm

Since NEC 2011 code in the US, you now need 14-3 wire on a switch loop from a ceiling box to a wall switch box. You use the red and black in the 14-3 to switch the hot, and the white wire is connected to a neutral in the ceiling box. If you're using a normal single-pole switch, you just cap off the white neutral wire in the switch box.

The reason the neutral is there is for future switching devices that require current to operate, such as an occupancy sensor.

Canada CSA may adopt that code in the future if it hasn't done so already.