led lighting

Ask your electrical related questions here
jaydags

led lighting

Post by jaydags » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:58 am

I'm a little confused. If LED lights produce little to no heat, then why do we still need a metal box around the fixture in an insulated or a non insulated ceiling?
Thanks

Shannon

Re: led lighting

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:20 pm

This is a bit of a common question that even us contractors talk about. As of now the codes have not completely caught up with the led technology. The best I can suggest as an answer is that even though the LEDs do not really give off much heat a metal box would still be required in an insulated area because most LED style pot lights could still have a normal type bulb used in them if someone wanted to. So anyone could change the bulb type and not relise that there is then a fire hazard present. Thats the best I can suggest to you.
Un-insulated ceilings do not require protective boxes.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Re: led lighting

Post by Aaron » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:42 pm

That's exactly the reason. Since there's no LED-only type of light socket, you have to construct a light fixture with the assumption that it can withstand the heat of the hottest incadescent or halogen bulb.

You also should plan lighting circuits appropriately with this assumption as well, that someone will install a 300W incandescent bulb in each fixture. A 15 amp circuit has a theoretical maximum load of 1800 watts, though realistically it's lower due to voltage drop with runs of cable. Safer to assume 1200 watts for a max load.