Under Cabinet lighting

Ask your electrical related questions here
jvelaz1971

Under Cabinet lighting

Post by jvelaz1971 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Hello Shannon,
I will like to install under cabinet lighting and lighting that hides behind the crown molding. I will like both lights to turn on simultaneously when I flip the wall switch. Can I use an existing wall switch for this? Also, do you have a step-by-step video for this?
Thank you

Aaron

Re: Under Cabinet lighting

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:57 pm

You could use an existing wall switch, but it might be easier to tap off of a receptacle that is on your counter back splash, and use a switch that is built into the under-cabinet light fixture assembly.

Modern under-cabinet light kits are really easy and flexible. It should be easy to link them together, and at the other end, you could run a wire up to another set that would be above your cabinets (behind your crown moulding).

A

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:32 pm

ok this is a great idea. I am going to tap off a receptacle as you mentioned. Do you have any step by step tutorials on this?

Thank you

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:45 am

I do not but basically you just need to create a pigtail at the receptacle. Buy the lighting first so you know what you need to do for a setup. If they are low voltage (most are)then you will need to run power from that receptacle inside the wall to above the cabinets. There you can install a receptacle box sitting up top that the new lighting transformer can plug into, and run your lighting from there. If you want them on a wall switch, which i find easier, then you maybe able to remove the single gang box at the receptacle and replace it with a double that way you could put a switch right on the wall to run that receptacle that you will put on top of the cabinets. Remember to turn off the power before you start
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:30 pm

Ok it sounds that either way I choose to go with. I will have to install a new receptacle on top of the cabinets to plug the transformer.
Do you have any videos on how to convert from a single to double gang box?
Thank you

grover

Post by grover » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:18 pm

In the US you cannot feed lighting using the kitchen SABC receptacles. I thought this was also the case in Canada.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:39 pm

What is SABC?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:34 pm

small appliance branch circuits (SABC)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:15 pm

jvelaz1971 wrote:Ok it sounds that either way I choose to go with. I will have to install a new receptacle on top of the cabinets to plug the transformer.
Do you have any videos on how to convert from a single to double gang box?
Thank you
Sorry but I do not have an actual video. Usually if you can cut the drywall out beside the existing box to make the hole big enough for the double gang, that will give you the room you need to get the old one out. I have seen this done many times running a line from a counter receptacle but as another post has mentioned this may not meet code.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:18 pm

jvelaz1971 wrote:small appliance branch circuits (SABC)
Ah thanks for the clarification. I honestly say it may not meet new construction code but retrofit ??? I see this done a lot but like I say it may not be code.

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:20 pm

You are welcome

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:02 am

Ah, I learned what dedicated kitchen countertop outlets are called: small appliance branch circuits. I didn't know that.

Honestly, "jvelaz1971", if you didn't mind having a wall wart plugged into one of those existing SABC receptacles on your countertop, you could just have the wire tacked up underneath the counter and run to the light with a built-in switch.

This would be a 30-minute project versus hours and hours of struggling, fishing line behind walls, and cutting into your backspash to convert a single-gang to double-gang box. The wire between your undercabinet lights and above-cabinet lights you could run inside one of the cabinets so it's not visible. Also, since the lights would be low voltage, you wouldn't have worry about concealing cable behind walls, or using flexible or rigid conduit that is required for surface-exposed 120V systems.

jvelaz1971

Post by jvelaz1971 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:35 am

Yeah, I just learned it myself when Grover mentioned it. I will check with the lady if she does not mind having a wall wart plugged in. For sure, it is much easier for me.

Thanks