Ceiling box question

Ask your electrical related questions here
Bluesv6

Ceiling box question

Post by Bluesv6 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:28 pm

As previously mentioned on a different thread I am adding drywall to a popcorn ceiling with strapping... Will be lowering the ceiling an inch 1/4.... Have a light box in the ceiling what will be the best way to do this to accommodate for the different height? Haven't removed the old one but most are pancake boxes... Wondering what the best way to do this or is it just a matter of putting a bigger box?

Shannon

Re: Ceiling box question

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Are you talking about the octagon metal box that the wiring is in? If so there are extensions for those boxes. You may need to add two 1/2" extensions to get as close as possible.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Bluesv6

Post by Bluesv6 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:53 pm

http://m.homedepot.ca/Product/productde ... 65&lang=EN

This is round, copied a link hope it is allowed on your forum for demonstration purposes... Box is round and is only capable of two Marettes and are nailed directly to the rafters with the rafter running above... Sorry for being vague in my original post

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:01 pm

If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:49 am

Whoa, that's another Canadian specialty item! 1/2" extenders for round (octagonal) ceiling boxes! Well those might be available at a dedicated electrical supplier in the US (where contract electricians have accounts), but not the consumer big box DIY stores. I've only seen 1.5" extenders.

Bluesv6

Post by Bluesv6 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:04 am

We have all the good stuff here In the big white North.... Lol.. I live in Canada as well and never knew they had them for this style of box either..... Seen the bigger octagon ones, this will simplify things.thanks Shannon!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:36 am

LOL, I guess we have a few things up here that are easier to access? Seems funny that something so simple is not easy to find down there. I use these all the time when strapping ceilings .

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:33 pm

You definitely seem to have more refined, safer electrical materials in Canada. It's your CSA code, I think it's far more stringent than the NEC in the USA.

I wonder what's used in Mexico. I have no idea.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Well from any trip I have been on to resorts in Mexico..... I think anything go's. The first time I was in Playa del Carmen in about 2007 I think. I was on a buss waiting for other travellers to board and out my window was a new housing complex being built it was 3 storeys I believe and the "scaffolding" was literally bamboo poles and 2x2s strapped/lashed/nailed together and many different fashions to get the height they needed and then wood planks spanned across every so often. From there guys were doing the stucco type finish they have every were down there. Other guy were mixing stucco on the ground and climbing the sides of these "scaffolds" anywhere they liked any way they could dragging theses full buckets behind them. Safety is no real concern down there. By the looks of the over head power lines I seen ,anyone who wants power splices in themselves at night and steals it, cause if electricians here ever made splices like that they would be run into the ground with law suits!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:13 pm

I've never been to Mexico, but I've been to Jamaica and the Dominican Republic at some resorts and it was pretty similar. I saw both CA/US 120V 60 Hz systems and EU 230V 50 Hz systems in the Dominican, sort of a hodgepodge depending where you were on the island. Jamaica had the UK standard 230V 50 Hz system, which makes sense because they were a colony of England. Jamaicans also drive on the left side of the road with a mixture of both US and European cars that have steering wheels on either side. I was happy to get home alive after that trip.