How to install a recessed medicine cabinet into bathroom wall

Ask your electrical related questions here
bcc

How to install a recessed medicine cabinet into bathroom wall

Post by bcc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:18 pm

There are two choices:
One in front of the vanity usually a medicine cabinet would go. Since the counter is not really deep the cabinet should be recessed. The first location has a plumbing air vent 1.5 inches wide and a light above the vanity with the switch on that wall.

The Second location is the right side wall of the countertop and it has a GFCI outlet on it that we plug in our bathroom items.
Both walls could be load bearing walls. One is perpendicular to the other. The vanity wall is
parallel to the long length of the home. The home has a metal beam also parallel and probably below that wall.

The other wall is perpendicular to the vanity wall. Its wall is common to a vaulted ceiling as the side of the vaulted ceiling next to the bathrooms location.

The bathroom is adjacent to the end of the hallway which opens up the vaulted living dining kitchen area.

So how to tell which of or either is best to deal with cutting a stud and reinforcing the other studs on either side. The cabinet is a Aluminum glass covered one. If it was surfaced mounted it would stick out at least 5 inches into and over the faucet below it. It would eat up valuable space in the room that way.
Could you post a video and cant find one dealing with and solving such an issue on Youtube. Unless you could find one that could be viewed would great too!
Thanks in advance.

Shannon

Re: How to install a recessed medicine cabinet into bathroom

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:48 am

I would guess form what you have said is that the wall parallel to the vanity maybe load bearing. I hesitate to say this but in most cases in a single story home you can usually remove 1 or 2 studs temporarily for a few hours while you reconstruct a header and put it back in place. In your case most med cabinets are only 24-36" long so that is what you would be doing. I would have as much pre prepared ahead of time so when you remove a stud or two you will not be to long getting things back together. Be careful and if you have any doubts have a professional come and have a look.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

bcc

Post by bcc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:26 am

The issue is also there are "nice" cracks in the hallway just beyond the bathroom on the living rooms vaulted wall above the hallways junction the vaulted area. And a horizontal crack that goes from that area across the top of the kitchen cabinets. Been told it may have been to last years extra snow on the roof, too deep a freeze, other said probably the beam that goes from the backside of the house to the front of the house may not be joined to the wall below it as it should be so that is why they separated. That area only saw such a noticeable crack last year. The home was build in the mid 1980's.

Back the vanity parallel wall (parallel to the hallway too) That one is behind the bathroom vanity,
It has of course a sink and faucet. Being the highest drain point it had a vent pipe for the plumbing going through that wall. I was told if it could be rerouted to turn the left and then turn back upwards but it would need two 45 degree angle 1.5 inch pvc pipes if the turns are sold that way?

Then it may be run vertically up the wall to the attic. The problem next is the pvc tube has to then head backward to its current attic location to then head toward the toilet pipe while bypassing a bathroom vent. When the bathroom vent was updated to a newer larger one, that PVC pipe was routed in a "half circle" around that exhaust area to allow the new bathroom vent to be mounted in place. So now have to deal with that pvc tubing again but in a different direction.

How many turns can the PVC plumbing air vent make? I read the key is it never turns downwards as that could trap gas from the earth that could cause mold etc.

Since if turns on the joints? when the 1.5 inch pipe extends from the sink into the attic can the new pvc be connected to the old one by running on the joist instead of turning immediately down the wall to the sink?

The other choice is to put the cabinet in the wall that is perpendicular to the vanity sink wall. It has an outlet in it and would attempt to put the medicine cabinet above that. A worker said could reposition the electrical outlet to the next stud. I said the cabinet could be higher that that outlet. I guess they meant if the wiring to the outlet ran up the wall vs down the wall. how many holes need to be made to figure these things out! We do plan to tile above the sinks planned new granite backsplash up the a new light mounted higher up.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:42 pm

For the cracks in the vaulted area , either one of those suggestions could be correct.
Your vent in the wall can be rerouted as you said to get away from the med. cabinet area and yes any horizontal transitions should have a slope so that moisture will still drain down the pipe , A 45 degree is not needed but a slope must be present . There are 45 and 22.5 degree fittings made for those pipes. The vent I do not believe is really restricted to any amount of turns.
Moving the electrical in the other wall is an option as well. You need to decide what you wanna do I guess.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

bcc

Post by bcc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:39 pm

Thank you. Have been a big help so far!
So the air vent from the sink needs to never be horizontal?
I doubt they did that. But I can go into the attic and look.
So what then?

bcc

Post by bcc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:42 pm

If I open the outlet on the other wall to see if can tell where the wiring is coming from. Would that help? Either it comes from below or above. If it comes from above an issue?
Then the wire would need to come from source... and junction box? If it were rewired down through another stud? Hopefully not needed...

If it comes from below but the cabinet is put many inches above the outlet is that ok?

bcc

Post by bcc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 pm

I watched the video where many studs were cut for a huge opening through the wall.
In this case trying to avoid the sheetrock on the other side.
Just cutting One Stud. they are 16 inches on center.

What I do know is supposed to make a frame around the place the medicine cabinet would be placed in. Is such a frame sufficient for a bearing type wall vs a nonbearing wall. Or have to open it a different way for a bearing wall?

The parallel wall to the sink has a steel beam from the long end to the other long end supporting it.

The other wall is the same direction as the struts above it. Excepting since the lower ceiling has different struts than the living room which as scissor struts. So that wall does not have regular struts like the rest of the lower room ceiling have. It is inbetween the Scissor struts and the regular struts. So how to reinforce that!

Thanks

bcc

Post by bcc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:51 pm

it seems to me the more involved wall above the vanity could be the safer wall to deal with as it has a more normal struts closer to it while the other one is the one that that wall gets cracking Unless a competent worker could strengthen that wall. I already had about 3 plus contractors looking at that wall and 2 looking in the attic as it. But no answers. And no guarantees either.