breaker panel

Ask your electrical related questions here
tleysona

breaker panel

Post by tleysona » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:41 am

Could switching breaker panel to 'off' affect and possibly put out furnace and water heater pilot lights?

Shannon

Re: breaker panel

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:01 pm

No it should not. If you have a newer water heater and furnace then they would likely not have a pilot light, many newer units only light when they need to run.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

tleysona

Post by tleysona » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks Shannon! Yes I have older model furnace.
I've been viewing your great how-to videos and helps me a lot (a newbie to Home Improv topics). Have applied for Homeowner elect permit- and 1st inspect requires ground and neutral wires-need to be attached inside breaker panel. I asked the question because I just wanted to know if I still have heat from furnace when I turned off the main switch of breaker panel as still little chilly at night in Wpg.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:59 pm

Turning off the power will not turn off pilot light but your furnace will not run without power.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:15 am

The power is pretty much for the blower fan, flame ignition, and the electronic sensors and relays.

The natural gas is for the heat energy.

Love your video about maintaining the igniter! I would never even think of doing that, but I will definitely do that before next winter just before it's time to fire it up again. I have a new furnace and want to keep it running tip-top.