Installing Chandelier, NEED ADVISE

Ask your electrical related questions here
diyguy13

Installing Chandelier, NEED ADVISE

Post by diyguy13 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:40 am

I recently tried to install a Chandelier where a small existing light was by the front main door in which they have also working with the outside light switch in parallel and now it keeps tripping the breaker. Do I need to install an independent breaker and switch for the Chandelier or is there a chance I have something hooked up wrong. The Chandelier has small halogen bulbs, so it should not be using to much power compared to the light fixture from before, so I am scratching my head on this one. Thank you

diyguy13

Shannon

Re: Installing Chandelier, NEED ADVISE

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:17 am

It sounds like you have something crossed up. What exactly did you do? You should have had to only remove the old light and install the new one to the same wires.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

diyguy13

Post by diyguy13 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:39 am

I did just exchange one wire for the other, but after making an extra support beam and spending a few hours sweating to death in an attic you just might be right. I will recheck it. Thank you and I will let you know how it goes.

diyguy13

Post by diyguy13 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks Shannon, but the problem was the switch. I needed the newer type of switch to work with the modern day type of lights. Crazy isn't it. well thanks again and have a good night.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:15 pm

Glad you found the trouble. That's weird you needed a new switch. I wonder if you had an old dimmer switch? Those don't work with many CFLs, unless it specifically states on the box it will. Also some (cheap) dimmers are only rated for less than 600 watts. Maybe you needed a more heavy-duty one.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 pm

Glad you got it!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon