Joining different gauges of wire

Ask your electrical related questions here
Bluesv6

Joining different gauges of wire

Post by Bluesv6 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:48 pm

General wiring question.... I was doing some wiring and had some spare 12 gauge wiring was going to hook it up to 14 gauge.... My question is this a safe practice?... I work with automotive wiring on a daily basis, we can go up to a bigger wire but not down to a smaller wire meaning if we work with 20 gauge wire we could splice In an 18 gauge wire Nd not have an issue but if we go to a small wire meaning going to a 22 gauge wire that splice will be the weak point... Wondering if it was the same...

If a circuit was 12 gauge I wouldn't switch to 14 gauge wondering if a 14 gauge to 12 gauge would be an issue... I figured. I shouldn't be cheap and bought a small roll of 14 gauge wire for ten bucks and kept it the same.... Just an FYI question

emtnut

Re: Joining different gauges of wire

Post by emtnut » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Nothing unsafe, or even not to code (that I am aware of)
ie. A 15 amp breaker run on entirely 12 guage would be fine.

If the inspector would see this, he would wonder what else was 'jury rigged' on the job. He could tag you on 'workmanship' if he was having a bad day :)

Glad you fixed it up, sooner or later you'll have a need for the 12 ga.

Wayne
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Would have been fine as 14 gauge circuit with 12 gauge added and continuing on but best to run it all the same.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:24 pm

In new construction, I actually advocate running 12 gauge for all the plugins, but 14 gauge for light fixtures even though both are 15 amps. The idea is down the road you could upgrade a circuit with plugins to 20A.

Mixing gauges is not good, though. You really want to stay consistent with whatever gauge is run back to the breaker. If you find you only need, say, 10 feet of cable, go to your local hardware store and see if they can sell it to you by the foot.

Bluesv6

Post by Bluesv6 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks for all the responses... Thought I'd be ok but didn't want to take a chance over ten bucks... Plug in wiring is all 14 gauge.... Just added a switch so going to 12 gauge wouldn't have been a benefit.... Just to save a trip to hd... Good to know for future use and wiring considerations....