Outlet hiegt in finished basement?

Ask your electrical related questions here
Grant

Outlet hiegt in finished basement?

Post by Grant » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:52 am

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before. Is there a minimum or maximum distance and eletrical outlet can be from the floor? I don't believe there is but but I thought I would ask. 15" ish to the center of the boxs off a finished floor is standard throughout my house. So I'm assuming 16" to the center of the off concrete ( before subfloor ) is acceptable. I guess the goal is to be consistent on hiegt throughout the basement.

What height do recommend?

Thanks

Grant

Shannon

Re: Outlet hiegt in finished basement?

Post by Shannon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:20 am

believe it or not there is no actual code for the height of receptacles but around that 15-16 inch mark is a nice comfortable height . Make them all the same so they look uniform and you will be fine. Most boxes used to be installed using 2-3 large spikes nailed through the box holes and into the studs so many guys used to use the length of their hammer as a guild since they were carrying it along with them.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:54 pm

My personal preference is for both plugins and switches to be a little lower than the average.

I measure from the floor to the top of the box. I put plugins at 14 inches, and switches at 42 inches. I'm a tall guy at 6'3", but I know not all people are including children or the physically disabled.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:16 pm

It is actually recommended to have plugs close to 15" off the floor for disabled I believe. I think it is so if they are in a wheel chair or something they can still reach to use it. I would not worry to much about that unless I was doing the job for someone who specifically needed that. It is kind of a personal preference thing.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:49 pm

Yeah that's true, lower plugins would be harder to reach for a wheelchaired person.

For me it's more just aesthetics in that regard. I still think plugins should be sort of inconspicuous, just to conceal cords and stuff as much as possible.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:39 pm

Makes sense.