Power

Ask your electrical related questions here
Jentrick

Power

Post by Jentrick » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:47 am

I am installing a vent fan in my laundry room. I have a existing light and switch. I am going to install the fan on a separate switch to draw out some of the heat and humidity from the dryer. I need to tie the power source for the fan and not sure how to do that. Can someone please tell me and show a diagram to do that. Thanks Patrick

Shannon

Re: Power

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:34 pm

What all is on the existing circuit supplying that light in the laundry room? If the load is low you maybe able to use that circuit for supplying the fan as well. Also what is the wiring set up for that light? Does the power enter at the light fixture first or at the switch first? Easiest way to tell is to turn off the circuit at the breaker box and remove the switch cover from the wall to see what there is for wires in that box. If there is only a single 14/2 or 14/3 wire entering that box and nothing else than the power originates at the light fixture.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jentrick

Post by Jentrick » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:52 pm

it is a 15 amp,There is a single bulb light and that is the one I want to tie into for a power source to run. The fan is a Nutone 50 cfm ventilation fan. It is on a 14/2, you have a set coming into the switch and then a set leaving the switch going to the light.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Ok you still have not told me what other plugs,lights or other electrical fixtures are on that 15AMp circuit? The power is originating at that switch before the switch allows it to go to the light so if this circuit is not overloaded and you can add the fan to it what you do is remove the single gang box at the switch location and install double gang so you can have both switches there or a switch for the light and a timer for the fan. One of those existing 14/2 wires is the power feed so you can get power there for both the light and fan. Then you need to run another 14/2 to the fan from the switch or timer. If you need a diagram for that let me know once you check the load on that circuit.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jentrick

Post by Jentrick » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:55 pm

sorry I left that off. My kitchen lights are on the same. It is 6 led can lights. I am wanting to run a switch to the fan so I can have it off or on separate from the light.Yes I will need a diagram. Thanks for your help.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:37 pm

This should help you out. I have not showed the grounds at all. All the grounds will come into the box and be attached together and one needs to be attached to the metal box as well.
Attachments
dual.jpg
dual.jpg (28.29 KiB) Viewed 501 times

Jentrick

Post by Jentrick » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:19 pm

Thanks so much