armored cable

Ask your electrical related questions here
mrpark

armored cable

Post by mrpark » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:49 am

I found a problem with an armored cable in my attic, it is ridiculous. It seems the previous owner made a cut and tapped into it, and then they put it back using just electrical tape. I am worried about this starting a fire since it is right near a beam, I have no idea what is under the electrical tape.

My idea is just to take off the electrical tape, and redo the wire, putting the part where it is cut on the inside of a metal electrical box. I guess I will see this weekend...

Aaron

Re: armored cable

Post by Aaron » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Yes, be careful. I'd advise you to use one of those voltage detector buzz-sticks so that you know the circuit is dead before you deal with it.

Cutting armored cable can be tricky, too, unless you have a special tool to do it. It's a clamp tool with a rotary cutting wheel that cuts just deep enough to score the outside armour so you can twist apart the coil.

Let me know if you need any more info. I've work with tge stuff a lot.

mrpark

Post by mrpark » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:48 am

The armored cable is already cut, he took about 10" of wire out and just wrapped it together with electrical tape. (that's what it looks like). I only have romex clamps, I know I need the other type to secure this mess in a box.

I found another armored cable in the basement, it has no ground, but the outer armor seems to be grounded.

Do you think I should just scrap all this armored cable in the basement and attic and just use regular wire 12 gauge wire? Or would you leave it because it's already installed? I could also buy new armored cable. hmm....

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:05 am

If the ungrounded cable is easy to get at then I think I would change it out for the same gauge of wire that also has a ground wire in it, in most residential situations armoured cable is not needed.
Also you do need the proper clamps for armoured cable but also you need to use "anti shorts" they are a small plastic sleeve that slides into the cut ends of armoured cable before they are clamped. They fit between the armour and the wires and prevent the clamp from causing the armour from piercing the cables when tightened.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mrpark

Post by mrpark » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:52 am

I may just run regular cable as you suggested. Longer term perhaps I could use EMT if I really wanted to go nuts. I have other cable in the attic that was put in that is not armored, so I guess it doesn't matter that much....

Oh, I thought those plastic sleeves were just so you don't cut yourself...That makes sense now...

lots of wiring projects to do.... thanks again....