Spa (hot tub) wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
jortz

Spa (hot tub) wiring

Post by jortz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 pm

I am getting ready to wire up my hot tub but I have a few nagging questions. First the stats: 75 ft from breaker panel to spa shut off panel, I'm using 1 inch PVC conduit, the spa is 50 amp 240 3ph, I'm putting in wire heavy enough to handle a 60 amp hot tub in case of future change, I am using 50 amp breaker and 50 amp GFCI, I calculated the wire gauge to be #4. Now the questions: How big does the ground need to be? I've looked everywhere and can't find this info. Next can I run #6 from the spa shut off panel to the spa (a distance of 18 ft) I have 3/4" liquidtight (LFNC-B) for this section.

emtnut

Re: Spa (hot tub) wiring

Post by emtnut » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:34 am

If your running #4 on the branch circuit, why not use #4 from the shut off as well. If you do upgrade your spa it would have to be done anyways. Else just use #6 for the whole circuit (quite the cost difference)
To answer your question though.... Yes, you can use #6 since it is a 50 amp circuit.

A #10 grounding conductor is what you require for either 50 or 60 Amp feeder.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

jortz

Post by jortz » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:00 am

Thank you. I will probably take back the 3/4 liquidtight and get 1 inch so I can run #4 the whole way. I'm doing it this way so I don't have to remove and replace the wiring later on, I'll just replace the breakers. I guess I should check the tub to make sure it will accept the heavier wire. One other question that came to mind: Can I use THHN from the panel to the sub panel? Then use THWN to the tub itself?

jortz

Post by jortz » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:01 am

I'm in Colorado by the way. I believe we're using 2014 code.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:20 am

THHN is OK to your disconnect.

It would be OK for the SPA as well, since it's installed in liquid tite.

Any THHN wire I've ever seen is dual rated THHN/THWN anyways (up here in Ontario).

Not an issue if your tub is inside

Wayne

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:32 am

EDIT *** just checked my code book ... you WOULD require THWN in the liquid tite !

Kinda makes me wonder about our code some days !

Still ... almost all THHN is dual rated. So check your cable first, may be a non-issue

Wayne

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:18 pm

When I did my own tub 4 yrs ago, #6 was all that would fit the lug on my tub. Mine is a 50 amp circuit and only running about 10M (32') but I think a person could run #4 and just strip back a few strands to make it fit and then you have the heavy wire for any future upgrade ?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:48 pm

That's a good idea.

#4 is pretty huge. I think #6 should be all that's needed.

jortz

Post by jortz » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Quick update: I took back the 3/4" liquidtight and got 1", bought the #4 to go all the way to the tub. The spa manual says #6 but like Shannon said I'll make it fit. Also checked all the wire and it is dual rated. By the way a quick note for people starting any electrical project. I found two apps that helped alot, without naming them: one calculates the gauge according to feet and amps and the other tells you how many strands of wire will fit in your conduit. If I had started planning with these I would have saved time making returns to HDepot. Thankfully I didn't have any cut wire that I won't use..

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:57 pm

If you wanna post links to those apps ,I do not mind . Those kind of things can be useful.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:16 am

That might be a good idea for Mr Admin.

You could have a 'knowledge base' section for the various trades with useful pdf's links etc.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Hmm you may be on to something there.

jortz

Post by jortz » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:20 pm

I found them in the Google play store. The first one is Conduit fill tracker by Summit electric supply. The other is AC wire size calculator. I just did a search for electrical in the app store, there were many others I didn't try.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:26 pm

emtnut wrote:That might be a good idea for Mr Admin.

You could have a 'knowledge base' section for the various trades with useful pdf's links etc.

We have to be careful of copyright on many things, but we will take a look at the idea I think.