Recessed lighting and insulation

Ask your electrical related questions here
stephenc709

Recessed lighting and insulation

Post by stephenc709 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:10 pm

I'm planning on installing recessed lighting (using LED's) in a basement room.
For soundproofing though, I'd also like to insulate the ceiling with leftover R12 fibreglass insulation.

Are there any issues with fire hazards or should I encase the lights in the special metal boxes?

There are many wires and pipes running between and along the joists to make using the boxes impossible in some of the chosen locations.
Are there alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

Shannon

Re: Recessed lighting and insulation

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:04 pm

If the pots will only allow the use of LED bulbs you should be fine but if they are one that someone could put any other bulb into in the future then you should use either Roxul insulation at the lights or a protective surround to keep combustibles back.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:45 am

If you are insulating , the recessed light HAS to be "IC rated".
I think all IC rated fixtures have an integral box with them, but I'd imagine the LED ones would be lower profile because they generate less heat.

I like Shannon's idea of Roxul insulation. I don't know the specs, but I think it would have an excellent fire resistance.

Here is an example of an LED fixture, looks like a small box, but I don't know how much room you have exactly.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/halo-4- ... ing/831916

They may have smaller ones there too ?
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:18 am

Check this out, it shows a propane torch on Roxul.
http://www.roxul.com/products/commercia ... cts/videos
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:49 am

Great Video .... and Hey, Mister ADMIN .... where's the 'like' button :mrgreen:

I used roxul in my basement, apparently it's mildew resistant as well.
It's not 'itchy' either !

Not sure of R value compared to PINK ... but I think I'll use it from now on !
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:22 pm

The Roxul has a higher r value 3" is r14 I believe.

stephenc709

Post by stephenc709 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:26 am

Thanks for the info!

The fixtures are IC rated, and the LED's are built into modules with specific (possibly proprietary connectors) so it will be fine.

After reading the instructions a little more thoroughly the fixtures can be placed within 3" of insulation without any issues.

Great website/forum, and many thanks for the informative videos!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks you, your welcome.

mrpark

Post by mrpark » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:24 pm

Is Roxul safer than fiberglass? I want to put Roxul in my attic, but since it is not sealed in a wall, are the vapors are dust harmful? What are your thoughts on this? I try to seal my attic as much as possible from the living area, but there are surely still spaces the air comes down. Fiberglass seems to make dust in the air, but from what I am told if that dust gets in your lungs it will not be permanent. I am planning on buying some Roxul soon as well, and I agree it's fireproof qualities are outstanding. I also read it helps keep the bugs away if that were ever a problem, because it is more dense.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:16 pm

As far as I know there are no Real harmful aspects of Roxul. I do not find it as dusty as fiberglass insulation when cutting and handling.

mrpark

Post by mrpark » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:03 pm

Great, I think I will go with Roxul!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:24 pm

There are new LED lights that literally mount directly to 4" round or square electrical boxes. They look like a common pot light but they portrude about a half inch and surface-mount on the ceiling over the box. I really like these because not only does it make for ridiculously easy installation, but you don't have to worry about heat and you can seal and insulate much better because the small junction boxes are far less of an obstacle than a pot light.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Be sure to use the deep boxes.