POWER OUT - BREAKER is FINE

Ask your electrical related questions here
image969

POWER OUT - BREAKER is FINE

Post by image969 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:05 am

Hello there. Glad to see you still have your channel going strong. I switched jobs and havent watched in a while due to more busy-ness lolAnyways. All the plugs went out in my bedroom including ceiling fan. This happened when I pressed power button on my air conditioner. So even though the AC has never done this before the few years I've had it I went downstairs to check the breaker. The breaker was fine. I turned it off and back on. i even tried swapping thbe breaker with one I know is working.. Still nothing.

So I used my tester and I'm getting the hot/ground REV code on all the non working outlets. I've checked all of them. Well all of the ones I can find so far and I dont see an open nuetral or anything that seems out of place. Im reading this online that open nuetral seems to be the problem.

my main question is this.....This isnt something that happened while I was at work. This happened the second I turned AC on. IUt acted just as if I had too much running and popped a breaker soon as I touched the power button. Can that cuase a wire to sepeerate that may have been loose in a box somewhere?

Im running out of ideas. .Im pretty good with electric and can't afford an electrician right now. Any thoughts?

Shannon

Re: POWER OUT - BREAKER is FINE

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 am

A Hot/ground Rev will actually hardly ever happen, usually this indication is actually a Open neutral situation.
Try to determine which plug or light is the very first one of that circuit and open it up, more than likely you will find the neutral problem in that box. In many homes the ceiling octagon box on the ceiling would be the first place the electrician brought power to that room So I would guess the problem is there or at the switch box. Remember to start by turning the breaker off before doing anything!! That circuit could also be powering items in other rooms and could originate outside of the room as well so the problem could be in another room.
This was a 120V window air conditioner or portable air conditioner that is just plugged into the wall I would assume? I think I would start at that plug in first.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

image969

Post by image969 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:45 am

I was hoping you wouldnt mention the ceiling fan. .Hihg ceiling. Definitly a pain to get to lol
AS far as the AC.. hyes its a 120 window unit. That plug seems fine. Why would it go out when I turned it on though? Everything was fine until I pressed power. Would that cause the nuetral wire to spark and pop off of a loose connection?

Also the ceiling fan was going. .the lights were on before I turned on the AC. It's not like I already had a problem.. Soon as I pressed power.. boom.. just as if I tripped a breaker.. Thats wher im stumped. how can i have an open nuetral causing a no power issue when everything was owrking fine till i turned on AC.. unless that is able to cause some vibration in the line to pop it loose.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:06 am

image969 wrote:I was hoping you wouldnt mention the ceiling fan. .Hihg ceiling. Definitly a pain to get to lol
AS far as the AC.. hyes its a 120 window unit. That plug seems fine. Why would it go out when I turned it on though? Everything was fine until I pressed power. Would that cause the nuetral wire to spark and pop off of a loose connection?

Also the ceiling fan was going. .the lights were on before I turned on the AC. It's not like I already had a problem.. Soon as I pressed power.. boom.. just as if I tripped a breaker.. Thats wher im stumped. how can i have an open nuetral causing a no power issue when everything was owrking fine till i turned on AC.. unless that is able to cause some vibration in the line to pop it loose.
I'm guessing you have a GFCI plugin somewhere on that circuit that tripped, and everything downstream from it dead. You may just need to reset it.

I would use those simple two-lead power testers rather than those plug-in ones with the three lights. A working plug-in should light up that two-lead tester if 1) you put one prong in the hot slot, the other in the neutral slot, or 2), you put one prong in the hot slot and the other in the ground slot. If one of those does not work, try neutral to ground--it should be dead.

If you open up any boxes to check the wiring, be sure to use those inductive "buzz sticks" to detect a live circuit before tampering with the splices.

image969

Post by image969 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks. There's definitly no GFCI. Im gonna have to go tot he ceiling fan or possibly up in the attic.. I just cant understand how if it's an open nuetral how it happened suddently when I turned on the AC.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:51 pm

That's actually a fairly common occurrence.
It didn't 'just' happen. It was a weak connection that over time just finally 'opened'.
This usually happens when a fairly large load is turned on.

As Shannon mentioned, a lot of electricians use the ceiling light as a junction box because of box fill. More that likely, this is where your problem is, or the best place to start !

I have seen a lot of similar problems with GFCI receptacles 'hidden' behind wall units etc... as Aaron said.

Use your tester to find where the power goes first, and from there it's as we say in the trade ... divide an conquer !

Edit to this post, If it is in fact a neutral wire, you would still measure 120V from the hot to the GND wire at each receptacle ;)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

image969

Post by image969 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:47 am

Thanks for the help. I'm starting to think I'm screwed lol I chekced the fan and its a small little hole with a 14/2 wire coming through the ceiling. If there is a proper box installed I can't access it without ripping a hole in the ceiling. Its the only room in the house with a lofted ceiling so I have no access to it in the attic. i checked everhy outlet. Nothing is backstabbed. All hot and nuetral wires are connected. I did find one light and light switch apparently at the beginning of the circuit that works, and then from there it runs up to the lofted part of the attic.(Most likely the fan) I checked that light switch and there seems to be nothing wrong. Not sure if there's any other way to test for open nuetral with a multimeter, in case I'm missing something before I start cutting holes in walls and ceiling. But thanks for the info.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 am

So it appears you have things working up to and including the switch that the fan is on? I think thats what you are saying,right? Do you have 120V when touching the hot and ground at the fan? If not then the problem must be between the fan and the switch, maybe another junction box you have not found?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon