Wiring above ground pool

Ask your electrical related questions here
phantomvs

Wiring above ground pool

Post by phantomvs » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:39 pm

I would need to know what's the correct way to wire an above ground pool.
It would not be. hardwired just a filter and pump plugged in an outlet.
I need 20 amps 120 volts.
There is no deck or anything just above ground pool in the middle of yard with a ladder ,pump and filter.

Should I use a gfci plug or breaker ?

Can I use 12/2 NMWU underground wire or use a PVC conduit ?

How deep underground do I dig and I am guessing I should attach the outlet box to a post (treated wood) anchored in cement ?

Any ideas or tips ?

Thanks again !!

Aaron

Re: Wiring above ground pool

Post by Aaron » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:54 pm

So do you want just an outdoor receptacle mounted on a post in your yard? Yes, Type UF (in the USA) or Type NMWU90 (in Canada) 12/2 is good. You will need to dig a trench at least two feet deep to bury the line. You will need PVC or EMT conduit and 90-degree elbows for the risers on each end to sleeve the cable as it goes vertical above ground (for physical protection). The type of GFCI receptacle you purchase should be both tamper resistant and weather rated, and you will need a receptacle box with a clear cover that can cover a cord plugged into the receptacle. Sometimes the appropriate receptacle even comes with the cover.

Be sure to check with your local electrical inspector to see if they may have any special code or permit requirements, and most importantly, call your local natural gas utility before you dig!

phantomvs

Post by phantomvs » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:03 pm

Thanks Aaron

Yup,all I need is an outlet in the yard next to pool pump& filter.

Not sure on distance away from pool ?

So basically I can put NMWU90 in a conduit ?
I know it can be used without conduit but in this case I can put it in a conduit.

What size conduit do you recommend ?
So I don't need gfci breaker just a gfci outlet will do it?

Thanks !!!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:00 pm

The distance between your pool and your circuit panel shouldn't be too much concern, just so long as you aren't drawing a sustained 20A constantly. If you are, or anticipate you might, you could upgrade the cable to a larger 10/2.

Yes, it's quite common to "sleeve" cable in conduit where it requires protection from potential damage, the only exception allowed for permanent exposure would be ceiling joist cavities in an unfinished basement. You only need to sleeve it on each end of the run when the cable comes up from underground--one end into your house, and the other end to the box where the receptacle is going to be.

You should only need 1/2" conduit and a 90-degree elbow for the house side. The elbow isn't really an elbow per se, it's a thing where you connect two pieces of conduit into it and it forms a right angle. There's a little weatherproof cover with two screws on it so you can open it and fish the cable through in each direction. One 10 foot length of conduit should be enough for both ends of your project. It's a cheap material, like $2.00.

No, you only need a standard breaker.

phantomvs

Post by phantomvs » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:34 am

Thanks Aaron !!!

I will tackle this project soon.

phantomvs

Post by phantomvs » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:20 am

Hey Aaron

If i go with the larger cable 10/2 can I still use the 20 amp breaker.

I went back to the pool store and only info I see on pump is 20amps 110v

Before I buy wire am I better off getting 10/2 instead of 12/2 any harm going bigger.

Or would I need to upgrade breaker ?

Thanks again !

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:27 am

phantomvs wrote:Hey Aaron
If i go with the larger cable 10/2 can I still use the 20 amp breaker.
I went back to the pool store and only info I see on pump is 20amps 110v
Before I buy wire am I better off getting 10/2 instead of 12/2 any harm going bigger.
Or would I need to upgrade breaker ?
Thanks again !
The only harm in using the heavier wire is the price you'll pay for it. Heavier gauge wire is more expensive as the price of copper is so high. Plus you also pay a premium for cable rated for burial and wet conditions. So the good thing is that it's very safe, the bad thing is the price. Honestly I think you'd be just fine with 12/2.

Most 20A breaker terminal clamp can accomodate a #10 or #12 conductor. It may be labeled on the breaker itself along with torque specifications for tightning the terminal screw clamp (but honestly, that's of little concern--just make sure it's very snugly torqued).

phantomvs

Post by phantomvs » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:37 pm

Thanks again Aaron

I will stick with the 12/2 NMWU90 & 20 amp breaker with gfci outlet all in 1/2" PVC conduit.

Thanks again !!!!

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:04 am

So I got a PM from a trade electrician (Wayne, who is often on the board) who reviewed your situation, and he thinks you might actually want to go with the 10/2. He said it's unusual for pool motors to have 20A on the motor rating plate, but he thinks it's possible you might have a really big pool. He also said you may want a 30A breaker, too. But you would still use a 20A GFCI.

chriss19

Post by chriss19 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:40 am

Hey,

Lost my pool this winter because of snow stack. Will supplant pool with a bigger one requiring the electrical administration to be moved. Electrical is without anyone else 20 amp circuit and has a GFCI container and just runs the pump. How profound to I cover the dark 12/2 with the ground wire?
Please, any suggestion.???
Thank you in advance.