Electric Code Checklists (US/Canada)

Ask your electrical related questions here
peterk2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Electric Code Checklists (US/Canada)

Post by peterk2003 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:03 pm

I try to do things to code as best I can but the electric code is huge and confusing.

This is put out by Minnesota and I find it very helpful and very easy to read. Hope it helps someone else!
https://www.dli.mn.gov/sites/default/fi ... klist2.pdf


User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 2717
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:42 pm

That's a very nice summary. Thanks!

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11413
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:37 pm

That is a very comprehensive document. I wish every city had something like that for their region to help simplify things for the average person to understand better. Thanks for posting that.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by emtnut » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:14 pm

peterk2003 wrote:I try to do things to code as best I can but the electric code is huge and confusing.

This is put out by Minnesota and I find it very helpful and very easy to read. Hope it helps someone else!

https://www.dli.mn.gov/ccld/PDF/eli_ins ... klist2.pdf
That would be helpful for anyone under NEC, thanks for posting it ;)

I have a couple of similar ones for CEC ... Manitoba, Nova Scotia , BC, and Saskatchewan (of all places :o ) , and I think I have one for Ontario ... but I can't find it right now :lol:

Maybe a sticky in electrical to post links to these ?
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11413
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:39 am

emtnut wrote:...Maybe a sticky in electrical to post links to these ?
Ya if you find those we can put them all in a thread stickyed to the top.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by emtnut » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:13 am

Thanks to Peterk2003 for getting this started !

Here are some links to homeowner electrical for a few Canadian provinces/cities.
I'd recommend downloading the PDF, since the links tend to expire when the IT guys re-arrange everything on their webpage :?

If you have trouble with any of the links (or content), just post a comment here, or open a new thread as you see fit ... happy reading :mrgreen:

From a place called ... Sask scratchy one ? ... http://www.saskpower.com/wp-content/upl ... pt2016.pdf

Winnipeg .... http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/pdf_files/HOElec.pdf

Manitoba .... https://www.hydro.mb.ca/accounts_and_se ... _guide.pdf

Short and sweet one from Lethbridge ... http://www.lethbridge.ca/Doing-Business ... eowner.pdf

EDIT: I highly recommend this book too ... Best $23 bucks you'll ever spend !
https://psknight.com/residential
** Added pic of wiring method books that Shannon had recommended in an older post.

That's all I have for now ... I'll update this as I find others.

Now, Hopefully this doesn't put Aaron and I out of a job here !! :cry:
Attachments
Wiring Books.jpg
Wiring Books.jpg (83.05 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
Last edited by emtnut on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Mastercarpentry
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Mastercarpentry » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:18 am

NIce :)
I'll never understand why codes are not freely published for all to see. It's just a cash-cow for the organizations producing the codes to make us buy a new expensive code book every year or two and that also prevents the average person from watching to see that their contractors are doing the job properly.

Phil

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 2717
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:37 am

Mastercarpentry wrote:I'll never understand why codes are not freely published for all to see. It's just a cash-cow for the organizations producing the codes to make us buy a new expensive code book every year or two and that also prevents the average person from watching to see that their contractors are doing the job properly.
Yeah, ostensibly the cost of the material funds the operation of the standards body. Large electrical shops will purchase copies for all their electricians and it's a tax write-off.

You should be able to find the code book in the reference section of the library -- perhaps your main or central library. Technical school libraries with electrical programs will certainly have it.

Otherwise, thankfully, you've got these forums to learn. There's LOTS to know, and every three years there are new rule additions as well as revisions that remove, loosen, or tighten previous rules. Most of the fundamental rules remain the same indefinitely.

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 2717
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Aaron » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:48 am

The Rex Cauldwell book "Wiring A House", 5th Edition, is excellent (pictured in Wayne's post above on the left side). I've read that book cover-to-cover. This book is good for construction techniques and good practices.

The Wiring Simplified book is probably good for circuit diagrams and wiring methods.

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 4682
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Aaron wrote:The Wiring Simplified book is probably good for circuit diagrams and wiring methods.
This is my bible when I needed to know something. It's a very good book and it is updated every time the NEC is updated.

My biggest problem with code books is that they are literally written in code so that most of the very people tasked with following them, have no clue what they mean. The code book writers want to say that they're not writing "how to" manuals, fair enough, but you have to at least write in a manner that people can understand. It doesn't help that the local inspector gets to interpret the code to his own liking or even make stuff up if he wants to. I've also had many instances where "code" makes no sense, and I've pointed that fact out to inspectors on occasion when they are free thinkers and not just petty functionaries.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

RICHat22
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by RICHat22 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:09 pm

I used to carry Ugly's Electrical Reference when I was doing industrial work. I did more troubleshooting and additions/mods than anything. But I loved keeping all these formulas and such in my head. Especially if I had to bend a little conduit or quick check what size wire to use.

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11413
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Shannon » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:43 pm

The code book indexes are even really bad. A free online source that has a good search feature would be really nice.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 4682
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:44 am

Shannon wrote:The code book indexes are even really bad. A free online source that has a good search feature would be really nice.
Let's have Admin get on that, shall we? ;) :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

User avatar
Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Admin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:11 am

A. Spruce wrote:Let's have Admin get on that, shall we? ;) :mrgreen:
I'll have it ready for you in a few hours, hang on...

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by emtnut » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:15 pm

I don't know what you guys are talking about :o ... I like reading legal documents :lol:

fwiw ... The local library here does have the current code book. ... Not sure if you can sign it out like any other book, or if you have to keep it there ?
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 4682
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:49 pm

emtnut wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about :o ... I like reading legal documents :lol:
You need to change your name from emtnut to nutcase! :shock: :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
emtnut wrote:fwiw ... The local library here does have the current code book. ... Not sure if you can sign it out like any other book, or if you have to keep it there ?
In my experience, items like this are considered reference materials, and thus, do not leave the library. Maybe things are different north of the border? :? :mrgreen: 8-) For what it's worth, my sister worked in a library and she says the same thing, and my roommate is a librarian and confirms this as well. I could be wrong though. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 2717
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:48 am

emtnut wrote:fwiw ... The local library here does have the current code book. ... Not sure if you can sign it out like any other book, or if you have to keep it there ?
I highly doubt you can borrow it. It's reference material.

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by emtnut » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:47 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
You need to change your name from emtnut to nutcase! :shock: :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As long as there's a 'nut' in there, I'm OK with that :shock:
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Mastercarpentry
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Mastercarpentry » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:34 am

Electricians are all wire nuts.

With the little electrical work that I do there's almost no changes to keep up with. The last thing I had to begin doing differently was pigtailing neutrals and having a neutral in switchboxes. I've got the phone number of a great electrician when I need knowledge and I've got a very good licensed electrical contractor I use when I need him. As long as you stay within your knowledge and ability limits you don't have problems and I make sure my customers know the deal about permits and licensing. If they want someone else to do it I'm fine with that but then the price goes up.

Phil

User avatar
Shannon
Posts: 11413
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:33 pm

I do a fair bit of electrical as needed, since I do a fair amount of bathroom,kitchen and basement renos from year to year. The main problem I have now is second guessing myself at times because we discuss both NEC and CEC here on the forum all the time and they do differ somewhat.LOL.
All though we have not adopted the neutral at switches in Canada yet I have started to do that anyways in my work. My electrician is very good at helping me if I get stuck as well, and then I also have some pretty super guys here in the forum. ;) :D
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 2717
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Aaron » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:49 pm

Shannon wrote:I do a fair bit of electrical as needed, since I do a fair amount of bathroom,kitchen and basement renos from year to year. The main problem I have now is second guessing myself at times because we discuss both NEC and CEC here on the forum all the time and they do differ somewhat.LOL.
All though we have not adopted the neutral at switches in Canada yet I have started to do that anyways in my work. My electrician is very good at helping me if I get stuck as well, and then I also have some pretty super guys here in the forum. ;) :D

Yeah the funny thing is the NEC and CEC are probably 98% the same. You guys have some particulars we don't and vice versa.

Pick the most restrictive of each and then you know you're good wherever. Lol

As for neutrals in switches, just always wire power to the switch first, then the light. Then you can stay with 14/2. Avoid wiring power to the light; otherwise you'll need to run 14/3 switch loops if you do so.

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by emtnut » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:03 pm

emtnut wrote:Thanks to Peterk2003 for getting this started !

Here are some links to homeowner electrical for a few Canadian provinces/cities.
I'd recommend downloading the PDF, since the links tend to expire when the IT guys re-arrange everything on their webpage :?

If you have trouble with any of the links (or content), just post a comment here, or open a new thread as you see fit ... happy reading :mrgreen:

From a place called ... Sask scratchy one ? ... http://www.saskpower.com/wp-content/upl ... pt2016.pdf

Winnipeg .... http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/pdf_files/HOElec.pdf

Manitoba .... https://www.hydro.mb.ca/accounts_and_se ... _guide.pdf

Short and sweet one from Lethbridge ... http://www.lethbridge.ca/Doing-Business ... eowner.pdf

EDIT: I highly recommend this book too ... Best $23 bucks you'll ever spend !
https://psknight.com/residential
** Added pic of wiring method books that Shannon had recommended in an older post.

That's all I have for now ... I'll update this as I find others.

Now, Hopefully this doesn't put Aaron and I out of a job here !! :cry:
I can't edit the post anymore, so quoted it to keep it together.

Just a note on the Saskatchewan document ... I should have put that last, it's not very user friendly :?

Look at what I found though !! 8-) http://www.ebooksbucket.com/uploads/eng ... Wiring.pdf

Download it before they take it down :lol:
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by emtnut » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:10 pm

Mastercarpentry wrote:Electricians are all wire nuts.

Phil
True, but up here it's Marrettes :lol:

Marrettenut ... doesn't have the same ring to it :mrgreen:
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

User avatar
Aaron
Posts: 2717
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:13 am

Marrette is a brand/trade name. Actually Wirenut is too. If you want to be generic, you use the term "twist-on wire connector". This is why brand names get genericized. Because the alternative is a mouthful.

peterk2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by peterk2003 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:58 am

emtnut wrote:Thanks to Peterk2003 for getting this started !
No problem!

peterk2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by peterk2003 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:03 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Aaron wrote:My biggest problem with code books is that they are literally written in code so that most of the very people tasked with following them, have no clue what they mean. The code book writers want to say that they're not writing "how to" manuals, fair enough, but you have to at least write in a manner that people can understand.
Exactly! I want to do things as close to code as I can. Especially the stuff that is for safety! I don't exactly get why I can never be more than 6ft way from an outlet but when I work on things I try to comply in case I ever need to get something inspected.

User avatar
emtnut
Posts: 1491
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:21 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by emtnut » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:44 pm

peterk2003 wrote:
A. Spruce wrote:
Exactly! I want to do things as close to code as I can. Especially the stuff that is for safety! I don't exactly get why I can never be more than 6ft way from an outlet but when I work on things I try to comply in case I ever need to get something inspected.
The 6' foot rule is based on the average length of the cord on devices. They don't want you to have to use an extension cord to be able to plug stuff in ;)
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

User avatar
A. Spruce
Posts: 4682
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:49 pm

emtnut wrote:The 6' foot rule is based on the average length of the cord on devices. They don't want you to have to use an extension cord to be able to plug stuff in ;)
Then explain why weed whackers only have a 12 inch cord? ;) :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

peterk2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by peterk2003 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:53 am

emtnut wrote:The 6' foot rule is based on the average length of the cord on devices. They don't want you to have to use an extension cord to be able to plug stuff in ;)
That is a good rule of thumb kind of thing but but it isn't a large safety issue to use an extension cord. I am finishing my basement right now and I only have 4 outlets until I get the electrical in so I have cords everywhere and no one has died so far.

peterk2003
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by peterk2003 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:58 am

A. Spruce wrote:Then explain why weed whackers only have a 12 inch cord? ;) :mrgreen:
So you can't the cord obviously!

Post Reply