Electric Code Checklists (US/Canada)

Ask your electrical related questions here
emtnut

Re: Electric Code Checklist(US)

Post by emtnut » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:31 am

peterk2003 wrote:That is a good rule of thumb kind of thing but but it isn't a large safety issue to use an extension cord. I am finishing my basement right now and I only have 4 outlets until I get the electrical in so I have cords everywhere and no one has died so far.
It's actually written in the code book !

Extension cords are for temporary use only. Like in your construction work, and for Spruceys weed whacker

What the code is trying to prevent, is people having permanent extension cords connected around the house, because sooner or later some furniture could pinch the cord, and that can be a problem :?
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:32 am

A. Spruce wrote:Then explain why weed whackers only have a 12 inch cord? ;) :mrgreen:
Real men use gas powered weed whackers 8-)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:40 pm

emtnut wrote:
A. Spruce wrote:Then explain why weed whackers only have a 12 inch cord? ;) :mrgreen:
Real men use gas powered weed whackers 8-)
Not my whacker. :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:55 pm

lol .... The things that come to mind :lol:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:48 pm

emtnut wrote:lol .... The things that come to mind :lol:
Careful, you're coming dangerously close to derailing this topic! :shock: :mrgreen:
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:58 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
emtnut wrote:lol .... The things that come to mind :lol:
Careful, you're coming dangerously close to derailing this topic! :shock: :mrgreen:
I was just wondering why you were playing with someone elses' whacker .... Not sure where you're going with this ?? Could you explain please ? :mrgreen:

DelS

Re: Electric Code Checklists (US/Canada)

Post by DelS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Brilliant! Thanks this helps a lot

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:24 pm

DelS wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm
Brilliant! Thanks this helps a lot
Glad it's helping you Del ... but don't hesitate to ask Aaron or me questions !!! We get lonely when it's quiet :mrgreen:

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pm

I was able to get a copy of the 2017-2020 Black & Decker complete guide to wiring.

Here is a link from my google drive, please feel free to host it elsewhere if you want.

Black & Decker - The Complete Guide to Wiring, Updated 7th Edition (160MB)
Last edited by jeb101 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks Jeb101.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:47 am

jeb101 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pm
I was able to get a copy of the 2017-2020 Black & Decker complete guide to wiring.

Here is a link from my google drive, please feel free to host it elsewhere if you want.

Black & Decker - The Complete Guide to Wiring, Updated 7th Edition (160MB)
Thanks Jeb, nice addition to the thread ;)

AdamJamma

Post by AdamJamma » Tue May 15, 2018 8:02 am

I used to carry Ugly's Electrical Reference when I was doing industrial work. I did more troubleshooting and additions/mods than anything. But I loved keeping all these formulas and such in my head. Especially if I had to bend a little conduit or quick check what size wire to use.

My own thought is that by knowing the code a little bit, you then know where to go in the code to do the lookups, instead of just thinking..hey , I can fit a few more wires in that box!!...

AdamJamma

Post by AdamJamma » Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 am

Neutrals in the outlets.. we were scared into believing we needed them in every single light switch location... now we are told, one per room... but with some locations requiring the AFCI to pop the light as well... then we now have a need to wire the light for a room from the outlets for the room.. but what if you have two circuits into a room, like in a kitchen? Does that mean you must have two lights in that room, each hooked to the different circuit? This AFCI stuff is getting confusing, and that is after almost thirty years of handyman work...maybe I need to just take up forklift driving

travishauch

Post by travishauch » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 am

Just thought I would post a new link since the other one isn't working.

https://www.dli.mn.gov/sites/default/fi ... klist2.pdf

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:37 pm

travishauch wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks Travis :)

Some websites seem to rearrange all the links, just for the sake of rearranging all the links :lol:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:09 am

travishauch wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks for the updated link, I pasted into the original post to replace the old one at the top of this topic.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

JJT

Post by JJT » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am

Does anybody know if it's legal code to have a plug-in receptacle in a furnace circuit between the safety shut off switch and furnace in Ontario Canada? I ask as if it is, I would do this to be able to plug in the furnace to a gas generator during Winter power outages.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Actually extension cords indoors can be dangerous. Especially the cheap thin interior type. Placed under carpets or carpet runners they can over heat and getting pinched under furniture can cause shorts and fires also.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:30 pm

JJT wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am
Does anybody know if it's legal code to have a plug-in receptacle in a furnace circuit between the safety shut off switch and furnace in Ontario Canada? I ask as if it is, I would do this to be able to plug in the furnace to a gas generator during Winter power outages.
Yes, you can set up a receptacle and wire a plug for the furnace.
It is a compliant way to power the furnace in a power outage. I have the same setup myself.

JJT

Post by JJT » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 am

Thanks!
I installed a Reliance Through-The-Wall Kit. It's awesome! You plug the generator into the box outside, and inside it's a 6 outlet receptacle.. Takes about 15 minutes to install. No need to connect anything to the panel box and no open doors and windows to run cords inside. I prefer this to the typical gen connectors where you have to decide which circuits to connect to through the panel. Gives you more control of what you want to power up with the T-T-W kit. Yes you have to use extension cords, but I only use heavy duty different length 12/2.

JJT

Post by JJT » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 am

Shannon wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:27 pm
Actually extension cords indoors can be dangerous. Especially the cheap thin interior type. Placed under carpets or carpet runners they can over heat and getting pinched under furniture can cause shorts and fires also.
Fair enough. I use only strategically placed suitable length heavy duty 12/2 cords.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:15 pm

JJT wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 am
Shannon wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:27 pm
Fair enough. I use only strategically placed suitable length heavy duty 12/2 cords.
Further to what Shannon said, the extension cords would only be used during a power failure. It is against code to leave them lying around, even if not being used, as they can be damaged.

The receptacle for the furnace needs to be mounted as close as practical to the furnace, and the plug connection should be SOOW type wire (captire) .The other end of this 'short' cable is to be mounted in a proper junction box.

JJT

Post by JJT » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 pm

emtnut wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:15 pm
JJT wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 am

Further to what Shannon said, the extension cords would only be used during a power failure. It is against code to leave them lying around, even if not being used, as they can be damaged.

The receptacle for the furnace needs to be mounted as close as practical to the furnace, and the plug connection should be SOOW type wire (captire) .The other end of this 'short' cable is to be mounted in a proper junction box.
Thanks very much for the extra info/advice. I'll do as you all suggest.

I have an electrician coming over tomorrow to install a new panel box for me so I'm going to count that as a day long power failure. Predicted high for tomorrow in my town is -1 C. I'll have to assume that if I do everything right he'll appreciate it, and if not he'll make it right!...lol

Thanks again guys!

John

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:57 pm

JJT wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 pm
emtnut wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:15 pm

I have an electrician coming over tomorrow to install a new panel box for me so I'm going to count that as a day long power failure. Predicted high for tomorrow in my town is -1 C. I'll have to assume that if I do everything right he'll appreciate it, and if not he'll make it right!...lol

Thanks again guys!

John
Let us know how the change-out went !

Hope your at least warm there tonite :mrgreen:

JJT

Post by JJT » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:41 pm

emtnut wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:57 pm
JJT wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks again guys!

John
Let us know how the change-out went !

Hope your at least warm there tonite :mrgreen:
All went well. As far as I know only one glitch. The mains coming from the disconnected meter were a little short to connect to the panel for the new installation. He went out and got new cable long enough to reach over the top of the outside pole and of course to reach the new panel box. When Hydro came over to reconnect the meter they spliced the new wire into the main power line.

As far as my generator setup, that went well too. It's rated at 6500 running watts so lots of power to spare. I plugged in the fridge, TV, computer, furnace, spare extension cord for coffee make, microwave etc. So it was essentially business as usual.
When I showed him the furnace connection before firing up the gen to make sure it was OK, his response was: "Cool!". But I think what he appreciated the most was the 500W work light I had plugged in to the extension cord I ran down there!..He also used it to charge his tool batteries.

I'd like to send a pic of the install but can't find a way to attach a pic. If there is a way please let me know.

John

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Use the "full editor & preview" button that will get you to a screen that allows you to post pictures and attachments.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:26 pm

Glad to hear it went well, if you can get a pic for us that would be 'cool' :mrgreen:

JJT

Post by JJT » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:55 am

Here it is!
Thanks Shannon for the attachments instructions.
PB2.JPG
PB2.JPG (63.8 KiB) Viewed 159 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:55 am

So electrician installed this? I would think the wires running to the panel could have been done “cleaner”. Does not really matter but looks a little unprofessional IMO.

JJT

Post by JJT » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:59 pm

I know what you mean, but I don't mind. Instead of stapling each wire neatly side by side he opted to bundled a bunch up and secure them all together. I could easily remove those screw in C clamps and neaten it up by nailing them each in individually with single wire nails. Maybe someday when I'm bored..lol!