What to do with old wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
Buffalo304

What to do with old wiring

Post by Buffalo304 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:51 am

I'm redoing my kitchen (1950's Cape) and want to do new wiring. The circuit breaker is just on the other side of the wall. I figure 3 circuits. 1 for microwave and stove. 1 for dishwasher and all other outlets (6) and 1 for the fridge. This wring is all on one side of the kitchen. I don't want to touch the old wiring (3 outlets), but I'm not sure what to do with them. They run the living room, but I don't want to use them. I don't think I'm suppose to put a plate over them and hide them in the wall (which by the way I found on the other wall, but that's another question). Any help?

Shannon

Re: What to do with old wiring

Post by Shannon » Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 am

Great question "Buffalo304"! For sure do not hide them in the wall ! You can however relocate them to be behind the fridge, stove or inside of a cabinet where they are not seen and put a solid cover over it. What I would suggest is you remove the drywall on that wall to expose the wiring. I will assume that the circuit starts at the breaker box, goes through the kitchen plugs and then into the living room? If so then remove the kitchen plugs altogether, then run a new wire ( probably 14/2) right from the breaker box over to a location that you can relocate the remaining wire that leads to the living room plugs. At that point install a electrical box and joint the wire there, creating a junction point, that you can tuck away out of sight but that is still accessible if the need arises.

If that circuit runs through the living room first and then in to the kitchen then still remove all the plugs in kitchen but now just relocate the wire coming from the living room to a location out of sight and install a box with the wires in it .Cap the wires off separately and leave them in there.

As for you new kitchen wiring I see some issues in your plan.First you need 6 circuits for what you have described. The microwave,dishwasher and fridge should be each on their own 120V dedicated circuits. And in most areas the dishwasher and microwave should be 12/2 wire.

Your stove if it is electric will be 240V and if it is gas will need a 120V .

The six outlets in the kitchen at counter height will need to be 120V, ran with 12/2 wire and also be GFCI protected. These also should be 2 circuits, the first circuit would run to junction box 1,3 and 5 And the second would run to 2,4 and 6. Basically you do not want any plugs that are beside each other to be on the same circuit.

The kitchen has some special wiring needs as you can see and is not straight forward.

If you are not completely comfortable with any of this then please hire an electrician!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Buffalo304

Post by Buffalo304 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks so much for the quick response. I'm using GFCI's, but I didn't realize about different circuit breakers. The old kitchen outlet is behind the fridge so that will be hidden. Great information.

I've watched all of your videos and cant wait for more. I loved your idea of putting tile around the tub surround to finish it off. I will definitely be copying that one.

Thanks again.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 pm

Glad to help,and please subscribe to our you tube channel, then you will get notified of any new video postings we have.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Also, if you're on facebook, we post updates there as well.