bathroom wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
Brett

bathroom wiring

Post by Brett » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Wiring a bathroom 3 gang box. Three switches. One for a fan, one for a vanity light and one for ceiling lights. The ceiling light with be a 3 way switch with 14/3 wire. All the wiring will be at the light switch and none in the fixtures. Do you add pigtails to all the light switches (brass terminal) for the black (power) and marette them together with the 14/2 black wire coming in and then marette all the white (neutral) wires together at the back of the box. And how about the ground. After the initial ground on the 14/2 wire coming in is grounded to the screw are they all maretted together and pigtailed to each of the green grounding screw on each of the light switches. What would be the inside of this 3 gang box look like. What would be sufficient grounding. Using a typical metal box.

Also, can I feed this system from a GFI? or should the GFI come off everything in the box?

Thanks for your help.

Shannon

Re: bathroom wiring

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. I have attached a quick drawing. The drawing does not show any grounds to keep things clearer, but basically attach them to every,box,fixture,switch and marret them all together to complete the circuit.
Attachments
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (74.9 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Brett

Post by Brett » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 pm

It is the ground (copper) that's confusing. With the new light switches there is a green ground screw. I hate to do this to you but could you explain what is needed for the ground (to complete the circuit) Would all the 14/2 to the lights and fan be grounded to the box screw first then to the green screw on these new switches. Is that enough to complete the circuit. And then what about the power feed ground. Is that just attached to the screw at the back of the box?

Brett

Post by Brett » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks for your time. One last question. Awesome picture. Put it up there with the best. This one is a tough one though. Have to feed a light and another socket from a socket due to the layout of the basement and the avoidance of a specialized beam. Cannot run circuit of sockets and then finish with the light switch. Have power coming into a socket. From the socket I need to feed a light switch and then to a another socket in order to feed another light switch. Do I simple add a white (neutral) pigtail and black pigtail (power) to the lower or upper poles of the socket. Then, Marette all the black (power) wires together and the white (neutral) wires with the neutral and powers going to the light switch and other socket. Or do I use the other poles of the socket to feed (say the light switch) and use pigtails to feed the 14/2 going to the other socket and then on to my second light switch. This seems easier to me since I am utilizing both poles of the first socket. How would the grounds look in each scenario as well. As usual thank you for you time. Site is great. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:56 pm

For your first question about grounds. I think the easiest way to explain this is as follows: when you have multiple ground wires coming into a box, take all wires and twist them together but be sure at least one is also under a screw in the back of the box. Now run a small piece of ground wire from each switch,plug light or whatever else is going to be attached or installed in that same box and also twist them all in with the other bunch of grounds.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:58 pm

Its getting late and I gotta get up a 5am tomorrow . I will try to draw up a diagram for your other question and post it tomorrow night.sorry for the delay.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:21 pm

By socket do you mean light socket or are you meaning a receptacle?

Brett

Post by Brett » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:42 pm

from socket to socket. getting conflicting info. an electrician tells me to keep one ground longer, twist it around the screw and attach it to the green ground screw on the socket and the other ground just had to attach to the other screw.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:39 am

Yes that is fine for the grounds. Now my other question was, what are you calling a "socket" is this a light or a plug in receptacle that you are referring to?

Brett

Post by Brett » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:53 am

Plug in receptacle. I guess being a rookie I simple using the term 'receptacle' as something that something takes into. Never really looked at a light switch as possible being a receptacle until now. Thanks for the clarification.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:47 pm

Some people refer to the actual light socket as a socket,
So I was not completely sure which you ment.
I away from the office for a couple of days but I will try to do up a drawing for you on Thursday. Sorry for the delay

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Here is the drawing for the series of plugs and switches.
Attachments
scan0002.jpg
scan0002.jpg (38.47 KiB) Viewed 2392 times

Brett

Post by Brett » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks again. Passed electrical.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 am

Thats what I like to hear! Good job.