Installing baseboard, but electrical question...

Ask your electrical related questions here
Jessica

Installing baseboard, but electrical question...

Post by Jessica » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi,
I need to install some baseboards in my house, I do not want to touch the electrical system board of my house but only to add some power braker or volt braker to allow me to install the baseboards perhaps to use some of the outlets that I am not using any longer? I am not too familiar with electricity, will you guide me? Thank you
Jessica

Shannon

Re: Installing baseboard, but electrical question...

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:27 am

I think what you are saying is you want to add some electric heating to your home? If you have some receptacles that are not used in the areas you want to add heat, there are wall mounted heaters out there that can be mounted and plugged in. This might be an option for you.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jessica

Post by Jessica » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi Shannon,
I just speak to an electrician and ask him to install some baseboards using the receptacles that it may be mounted in the wall to be plugged in, like you say but he thinks my whole electric panel has to be changed also he think that some electric wires will need to be under ground to be connected to the metter outside of my house and he scare me a lot! Is any way I can have my baseboards this Winter? I do not like to change all that. Jessica

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:01 pm

It is so hard for me to say cause I can not see your exact situation
Call a different electrician for a second opinion to see if he says the same things as the first guy.
If he does than they are probably right.
You may have to small of a service in your house now to handle supplying the heaters you want to add.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jessica

Post by Jessica » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi Shannon,
I have already ask many people about, the most have told me is easy and no need to change the central electric panel, but they lieve fare away from my town, I think I have to learn how to do it by myself everything, perhaps I can make it after all with a bit of your help as well.
Jessica

Jessica

Post by Jessica » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 am

Thank you Shannon
I don't know how to delete the post if you can let me know, I thank you
Jessica

subzJC

Post by subzJC » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Jessica,

Did you learn how to do it by yourself everything?
What about the second opinion?

Just curious cause this story abruptly ended,
Justin

Jessica

Post by Jessica » Thu May 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi Shannon,
Sorry last time I had to go because I could not explain better of the need of heat in my house. Here I am again, I found it may be OK to install a Subpanel with 50amps =240V instead of changing my main electrical panel. I wanted to have only baseboards in my basemant and some in the main floor. I could not find anyone who can do that. All the electricians wanted to change the entire electrical system which is too expensive for my budget, they say I need 240V.
also I found some baseboards need 110V, but still they want to change the full main electrical board. I had a very terrible cold Winter in my house.
Can you let me know if all this is wrong?
Thank you,
Jessica

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 01, 2014 10:15 pm

You may just not have enough electrical capacity to start with so adding a sub panel may not be enough. Electric heat takes a lot of capacity and if you have only a 60 Amp main breaker right now then adding anymore than 2-4 baseboard heaters would cause you lots of trouble.
Unfortunatly you may have to go with the new panel. If that is what you do then make sure to go with 240v heaters, they are more efficient and will save you money to run.

Jessica

Post by Jessica » Fri May 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi Shannon,
I run this past Winter many portable electrical heaters and my Hydro bill is very high, I have to keep looking for something which it can help my house and me,is hard to find electricians in this town who can have all the experience to help me to solve this problem. I may not be able to have a new panel thank you anyway.
By,
Jessica