electrical receptacle - ground question on video

Ask your electrical related questions here
woody

electrical receptacle - ground question on video

Post by woody » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:11 pm

I just watched a video of you hooking up an electrical outlet/receptacle. I agree with the way that you hooked up the receptacle from the breaker box, but when you went to the next receptacle, you only hooked up the black and the white wires from the first receptacle box. You didn't bring the ground wire with you from the first receptacle to the second receptacle. So how is the next receptacle grounded then?

Woody

Admin
Site Admin

Re: electrical

Post by Admin » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Woody, welcome to the site! Is this the video you're referring to? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIL7RKsXQOk

Since there was so much detail on wiring the first receptacle, the second receptacle wiring was sped up, and in fact probably wasn't necessary to include. I can see at about the 13:12 mark in the video he definitely hooked up the ground wire to the receptacle. Details on the ground wire can be found at about the 3:24 point, the electrician secured the ground wires to the boxes already. If you missed that few seconds in the video you may have missed the detail showing the ground wires being grounded to the box, running from box to box. It is very important to properly ground all electrical boxes, that step was not missed.

Shannon

Re: electrical receptacle - ground question on video

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:43 am

Yes Woody, admin is correct . Sorry for not being as clear as we maybe should have been on that point because the ground is very important. Thanks for clarifying.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

woody

Post by woody » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Shannon, I'm not sure I understand your response. Could you clarify that for me? I watched the entire video, and nowhere does he hook up the ground from receptacle #1 to the ground on receptacle #2. Can you clarify that? Do you hook up a 2nd ground wire on the ground on receptacle #1 and attach it to the ground on receptacle #2? The title of the video is to go from receptacle to receptacle, so yes, the wiring of the 2nd receptacle was necessary to show. He never shows hooking up the ground wire from the first receptacle to the second receptacle. He just spoke of white and black wires being hooked up. So when done, are there two ground wires hooked into the first receptacle? One going to the breaker box, and another one going to the 2nd receptacle?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:57 pm

As Admin explained if you look at around the 3:21 -3:34 time frame I explained that the electrician already had the ground wires attached to the box screws, and we showed a close up of that box so you could see both ground wires were attached to the box screws and then one was also left long enough to attach to the receptacle . It was exactly the same on the second one as well.
And as I said in the video the way I hooked up the first box is the same for every other box with two wires, so we sped up doing the second box.
Hope that clarified things for you.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

woody

Post by woody » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:53 am

Nope, still didn't clarify it for me. If the electrician had already attached the ground prior to the video, then there is no video as to how the ground wires are attached. As before said, I know that off the first receptacle that a ground wire goes from there to the breaker box. Is there a 2nd ground wire then put on that same ground screw on the first outlet to go to the 2nd outlet. It's a plain and simple question. Why do you have such a hard time answering it? And why would the ground wires be hooked up first? I've got 3 wires coming out of my cable. I would hook up all three to one receptacle, and then go on to hook up all three to the next receptacle. I just want to know if there is a 2nd wire put on ground screw #1 to go to the ground screw on receptacle #2?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:46 am

Its a plain and simple answer...yes. if you look at the video? You will see two ground wires ,one coming from the breaker into the box wrapped around one screw and cut off. The second ground wire coming from the wire that goes to the next plug comes in the box ,is wrapped around the second ground screw and then left long so it can be attached to the receptacle its self. Even though this is a plastic box there is a metal bonding strip that attaches to both screws in the back so they are connected together through that.

Every electrician does things a little different, this guy apparently hooks all his grounds to the boxes when he feeds the wires into the boxes, probably to keep them out of the way I guess. You can do your own in any order you want just be sure they are all connected properly!

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:58 am

woody, I think it would be a good idea for you to have an electrician do the work for you. If you have any doubts that is the safe route to go!

You may also want to watch this video it also shows and talks about the ground wire in a receptacle box https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-BZnAlPJOQ

woody

Post by woody » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:13 am

You may want to have an electrician do the work for you also, as your explanation just doesn't make it. You never answer my questions, plain and simple. Read the questions and answer them. If you can't, please have a certified electrician read them and respond. Your response makes no sense whatsoever. Read it. Maybe you understand it because you know how to wire it, but to tell someone what you've said here, makes no sense. "The second ground wire coming from the wire that goes to the next plug"...What wire are we talking about here coming from the next plug? "Is wrapped around the 2nd ground screw and then left long so that it can be attached to the receptacle"...Well if it's already wrapped around the 2nd ground screw, isn't it attached to that outlet? How is it that it's left long so that it can then be attached to the receptacle when it's already been attached to the receptacle? The question is still a simple one. I have 3 wires going into the receptacle from the power box, a hot, a ground, and a neutral. Do I have to attach a 2nd ground wire to the ground on the 1st receptacle, and then hook it up to the ground on the 2nd receptacle? Your explanation makes it sound as though you only have two wires coming into the receptacles, and that the ground wire is a single strand of wire that is not in with the other two wires, and that is hooked up all by itself either before the other wires are hooked up, or after the other wires are hooked up. It's a simple question and could be answered with a simple answer.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:09 am

I'm not sure what you're not understanding but I strongly recommend you call a licensed electrician to do your work. Here is a screenshot from the video showing the ground screws, every receptacle box should look like this (or pigtail the ground wires if necessary for code in your area). If your boxes are metal instead of plastic, the grounds screws should be in a slightly different location, but there will still be two of them.

One of the ground wires is grounded the to the box and then cut off. The other ground wire is left longer, which is secured to a ground screw and then the wire comes out and is secured to the receptacle.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 11.08.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 11.08.55 AM.png (264.02 KiB) Viewed 2062 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:19 pm

If you still can not understand this from everything we have been telling and showing you then pppplease call an electrician because this may be over your head and is to dangerous for you to continue. Sometimes it just makes sense to get the pros. Sorry we could not seem to explain this in a way you could understand.

subzJC

Post by subzJC » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Shannon,

You are a brave man to field electrical questions from the general public.
Cheers to you!

Justin