Lighting above Shower / Tub

Ask your electrical related questions here
MarkM

Lighting above Shower / Tub

Post by MarkM » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi all,

I am slowly in the process of doing a small remodel of my bathroom. One of the things that the wife and I thought would be nice is to add a light or two above the shower / tub. (Ceiling mounted)

I know it obviously can be done as I have seen the finished product countless times.

Other than making sure the circuit is GFCI protected and making sure the light switch itself is far outside the reach of the tub/shower area, is there any other considerations I should have in doing this? ie. special insulators, etc or anything as the probability to get wet given steam and kids whom LOVE to jump in the shower splattering all over (another post... :roll: ) will be increased exponentially over other lighting locations I have done?

Any words of wisdom you guys have would be amazing! Thank you very much!

*Edit: I didn't know if this belonged in "Electrical" or "Bathroom"... if it is misplaced, please let me know and I will promptly copy / paste it where it goes. :-)

emtnut

Re: Lighting above Shower / Tub

Post by emtnut » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:05 pm

The light fixture needs to be wet rated as well.

Something like this would do nicely https://www.amazon.com/Lithonia-Lightin ... +LED&psc=1

The LEDs are nice, because the driver and AC power are not right with you at the shower.

I'm doing a bathroom reno now as well, and this is what I am putting in. (My supply house stocks Lotus, but the Lithuania is the exact same)
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 pm

Those look pretty cool! Would you have any concern with direct contact with Insulation?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:26 am

You have to be sure the fixture is "IC " rated. These ones Wayne listed are listed as that.
Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 7.24.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 7.24.20 AM.png (34.48 KiB) Viewed 206 times
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:19 am

Fantastic!

Thank you gentlemen!!!