Home run at middle outlet

Ask your electrical related questions here
SteveD

Home run at middle outlet

Post by SteveD » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:46 pm

I asked this question on YouTube but I will ask again here.

I have a run of outlets I want to put on a single circuit and one of the outlets in the middle of the run is closer to the breaker panel than either of the end outlets. Is it permitted to connect the home run into the circuit at a middle outlet box using the pigtail technique described in the video but with one extra cable coming into the box? (i.e. three wires plus the pigtail at each twist connection)

emtnut

Re: Home run at middle outlet

Post by emtnut » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:34 pm

SteveD wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:46 pm
I asked this question on YouTube but I will ask again here.

I have a run of outlets I want to put on a single circuit and one of the outlets in the middle of the run is closer to the breaker panel than either of the end outlets. Is it permitted to connect the home run into the circuit at a middle outlet box using the pigtail technique described in the video but with one extra cable coming into the box? (i.e. three wires plus the pigtail at each twist connection)
Absolutely !

the only thing you have to consider is a slightly larger box size for the extra conductors.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:48 pm

emtnut wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:34 pm
Absolutely !

the only thing you have to consider is a slightly larger box size for the extra conductors.
Thanks for the help. While I was waiting for a response I've been wiring up the outlets. I'm using 12/2 and I didn't realise how stiff the wire would be. I think I'll just put in an extra empty box and use it as a junction box. Save me another trip to the hardware store for a bigger box.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:36 am

SteveD wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:48 pm
Thanks for the help. While I was waiting for a response I've been wiring up the outlets. I'm using 12/2 and I didn't realise how stiff the wire would be. I think I'll just put in an extra empty box and use it as a junction box. Save me another trip to the hardware store for a bigger box.
Just be aware that all electrical splices must be accessible at all times. So it's okay to use a box just for a splice (junction), but if you are covering a wall with drywall, the box with the splice would need a blank cover.

Junction boxes are usually avoided just for that reason--it's easier for a box to be both a junction and device box at the same time, and use fewer boxes to boot.

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:22 pm

I've already got the blank covers. All the work is in a workshop so appearance takes a backseat to function.