Junction box wiring with a switch

Ask your electrical related questions here
goneskiingtoday

Junction box wiring with a switch

Post by goneskiingtoday » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:36 pm

I'm doing some basement wiring where I'd like to bring power from the panel into a junction box and split it 3 ways. In the junction box, I want to install a master switch that will kill the power to all 3 legs if required. Please describe how I would accomplish this wiring.
Thank you.
(BTW, Shannon's videos are easily understood and really helpful!)

emtnut

Re: Junction box wiring with a switch

Post by emtnut » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:51 pm

goneskiingtoday wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:36 pm
I'm doing some basement wiring where I'd like to bring power from the panel into a junction box and split it 3 ways. In the junction box, I want to install a master switch that will kill the power to all 3 legs if required. Please describe how I would accomplish this wiring.
Thank you.
(BTW, Shannon's videos are easily understood and really helpful!)
If you pigtail all three hots to the switch, then that will act as a master switch for all three circuits.

Are you switching lighting ? or some receptacles ?
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

goneskiingtoday

Post by goneskiingtoday » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Thanks for your reply..... to clarify, I would then run 2 pigtails, one to each terminal on the master switch.
Yes, downstream of this master switch, I plan to install a 3 way switch setup from a ceiling light on one leg, and a switched half receptacle on another leg. Any advice would be helpful...

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Maybe if you posted a diagram of what you want, it would be more clear. It sounds like you want a switch to kill power to a 3-way switched circuit downstream and another switched circuit for receptacles.

If you want to kill power to those circuits you could just flip the breaker off?

I mean you could certainly wire in a kill switch, it's just... odd.