Extending an stove Wire

Ask your electrical related questions here
Invest777

Extending an stove Wire

Post by Invest777 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:45 pm

Hey Shannon

I need to relocate the stove outlet to the other side of the kitchen but the actual wire is too short.
So the question I have is - Can I simply extend that gauge of wire as i would a 14/2 which is by properly conjoining it with the same gauge wire at a outlet box?

Or do I have to buy one single piece of wiring that will go the distance?

Aaron

Re: Extending an stove Wire

Post by Aaron » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Yes, you can extend the length of the circuit. The box that previously contained your range receptacle just becomes a junction box where the extension splice exists.

The only caveat is that this box must be accessible. If you built cabinets in front of it, for example, you'll need to make sure that the back of the cabinet is cut out enough for access to the cover you will put on this box.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Agree with Aaron, and also make sure you use wirenuts rated for 2 #8 (or 2 #6) wires as needed.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

diytexas

Post by diytexas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:37 pm

I may be doing something similar for 8 or 6 (to be determined) wire. Is there an alternative to wirenuts? Something like a junction box with a screw down bar....like you see in panels for the feeder wires?

Something about wire nuts I don't fully trust with heavier gauges. I use them all the time, but sometimes, just sometimes, one slips out that you were sure was well joined.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:22 pm

diytexas wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:37 pm
I may be doing something similar for 8 or 6 (to be determined) wire. Is there an alternative to wirenuts? Something like a junction box with a screw down bar....like you see in panels for the feeder wires?

Something about wire nuts I don't fully trust with heavier gauges. I use them all the time, but sometimes, just sometimes, one slips out that you were sure was well joined.
You could use polaris screw type connectors, or a barrel screw connector and heat shrink (and some tape.)

Nothing wrong with wirenuts rated for that size wire thou ... done all the time ;)
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~