Calculating AWG from stranded gauge - whats wrong with me

Ask your electrical related questions here
diytexas

Calculating AWG from stranded gauge - whats wrong with me

Post by diytexas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 am

Trying to figure out the AWG of a wire with 7 strands.

The awg of each strand is 0.046 (in). There are 7 of them. To get them in CMA...

CMA = D2 x N

in mils thats

1 in = 1000 mils
0.064 = 64 mils

64 x 64 x 7 = 28672

https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDel ... ng=English

6 gauge wire?

Aaron

Re: Calculating AWG from stranded gauge - whats wrong with me

Post by Aaron » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:52 am

Yow. Well I take it that it's bare wire with no jacket to tell you, obviously.

I think I would use calipers and get a cross-section diameter of the bundle of strands in whatever unit length measure you want (in, mils, or mm).

From that you can determine awg. Probably not as precise as the calucation you're going after (calculating strands), but awg of a wire is the the cross-section diameter of the wire, or all the strands that make up the wire.

diytexas

Post by diytexas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Ithey do actually have a jacket. But having any writing on it would be too easy, so it's not anywhere to be found.

My wire gauge says it's either an 8 or a 6. But bring stranded, it's a little Willy Wonka to measure and I'd like to be sure

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Your calcs seem to be OK, but depending on the instrument you used to measure you could have some error ( error x7 with the calc.)

What is this feeding ? Do you have access to the other end of it ?
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

diytexas

Post by diytexas » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Yes. That's where it gets interesting. Whoever installed this loaded it onto the same 100amp breaker that serves the mobile home.....AND on top of that it's a 3 pole....(one pole is doubled lol).... as someone joked, the installer probably literally just grabbed what he had laying in his truck

Some janky work. The AC is out of commission, and the fuse box is pulled, so it's "harmless", but it will all be fixed when I start a subpanel.

That being said, the breaker is of no help in determining the gauge. And no writing on the cable at that end either

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:06 pm

Well it's going to be a common awg, for sure. Maybe cut a small sample piece and take it with you to a Home Depot or Lowe's or whatever and compare it with what they stock. Probably the easiest thing to do really then measuring and calculating.

diytexas

Post by diytexas » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:19 am

Aaron wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:06 pm
Well it's going to be a common awg, for sure. Maybe cut a small sample piece and take it with you to a Home Depot or Lowe's or whatever and compare it with what they stock. Probably the easiest thing to do really then measuring and calculating.
Yeah that sounds like the easiest solution.

diytexas

Post by diytexas » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Made a side stop to home Depot during an errand, so didn't have a sample of wire to compare.

8 vs 6 is clear as night and day. I should know when I look back at what I have. I think it's an 8.