Multiple 110 outlets off of previous 220 range receptacle

Ask your electrical related questions here
ChapJohn

Multiple 110 outlets off of previous 220 range receptacle

Post by ChapJohn » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:02 pm

I am changing from an electric to gas range and would like to use the 220 range line to power a 110 receptacle for the gas range and a second 110 receptacle for the microwave/vent above that range.
1) What is your preferred method to wire this?
2) What needs to be done with the circuit breakers? (Range breaker is 40A and takes up two spaces in the panel currently.)
I appreciate any advice you can give me.

Aaron

Re: Multiple 110 outlets off of previous 220 range receptacle

Post by Aaron » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:16 pm

Honestly, it's better to run a new 120V line to your new range. it need only be a single circuit for both the range power (which is just an oven light, igniters, and electronics depending on your model) and your microwave/vent hood. I'd go 20A for this circuit to account for the microwave.

It may seem like a lot of work to run a line, but it's less work than plumbing a gas line to the same spot (if you're doing that work too). The benefit is that you still have the 240V receptacle for the range still there in case in the future someone would want to return to using electric.

Yes, you could use one of the legs of the 240V circuit for a new 120V circuit, but you would run into problems where the thick-gauge cable would need to be pigtailed at each end for both the breaker at the panel end, and the receptacle or whatever else at the range end. The box for range receptacles is usually pretty crowded as it is; there is almost never enough room for a bulky splice.

ChapJohn

Re: Multiple 110 outlets off of previous 220 range receptacle

Post by ChapJohn » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:53 am

Thank you! I guess I was just trying to avoid running the 110 line because access is very tight. I like the idea of keeping the 220 available so I will just bite the bullet and run the new line.