Do led lights in series count towards the max on a circuit?

Ask your electrical related questions here
jeb101

Do led lights in series count towards the max on a circuit?

Post by jeb101 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:53 am

In this neck of the woods, we can't do more than 12 lights / devices per circuit. Do led lights attached in series count?

I'm saying that because I'm at 13 if I want a dard board light / switch and the switch puts me above the limit. :cry:

Edit: I'm looking at the ndrelectric razor series which states you can do 16 per 150w dimmer, wording doesn't explicitly say it, but boy's I'd love It to mean that I can put a bunch on one. Use a single tandem for basement lights vs 2 tandem. This is of course that the next light works if I have one that burns out, no use hooking in series if one goes they all go.

A man can dream of a lax code for modern led circuits. Lol

Aaron

Re: Do led lights in series count towards the max on a circuit?

Post by Aaron » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:36 pm

I think Wayne said that if it's strictly a lighting circuit (no receptacles), the 12 outlet rule doesn't apply. At least with LED lights. They may also need to be fixed LED lights that have no means to put any other type of non-LED bulb.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:58 pm

I would check with your local inspector . That is the way it should be : if it is strictly a LED lighting circuit and the LED bulbs can't be changed out for something else I would say you could load it up to the allowed amperage limit (that would be a lot of LEDs) .
But in my area one inspector will not allow it and one will and since you don't know which one will be coming I still follow the older rules.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:13 pm

jeb101 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:53 am
In this neck of the woods, we can't do more than 12 lights / devices per circuit. Do led lights attached in series count?

I'm saying that because I'm at 13 if I want a dard board light / switch and the switch puts me above the limit. :cry:

Edit: I'm looking at the ndrelectric razor series which states you can do 16 per 150w dimmer, wording doesn't explicitly say it, but boy's I'd love It to mean that I can put a bunch on one. Use a single tandem for basement lights vs 2 tandem. This is of course that the next light works if I have one that burns out, no use hooking in series if one goes they all go.
Not sure why you're saying wired in series. They are 120V lights, and wired in parallel like a regular fixture.
Also, it sounds like you counted the switch as a 'device'. Switches don't count in the max 12 per circuit, only loads do (recepts/light fixtures etc).
As mentioned, if this is strictly a lighting circuit, then you can load up to 1,440W (fixture ratings, not bulb ratings) on the circuit.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Shannon wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:58 pm
I would check with your local inspector . That is the way it should be : if it is strictly a LED lighting circuit and the LED bulbs can't be changed out for something else I would say you could load it up to the allowed amperage limit (that would be a lot of LEDs) .
But in my area one inspector will not allow it and one will and since you don't know which one will be coming I still follow the older rules.
Technically an inspector can't fail you without giving a code reference (well, sometimes you have to ask him for it, but he HAS to give it to you).
In this case, code allows for more than 12 devices on a circuit if only lighting.

For someone pulling a home permit, you would definitely WIN this one .... but if you pi$$ him off, he will find lots of others !

I guess it's a case of 'choose your battles wisely' :mrgreen:
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:14 pm

No point in getting on there bad sides ! I would agree with that for sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Well you guys in Canada have that nice loophole of not needing AFCI breakers for strictly lighting circuits.

If you needed AFCI as we do down here, it would be an argument and risk of getting on their bad side that is worth having! Lol

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:50 pm

I had an electrical panel inspection done today by the big head senior chief inspector and I asked him this question and he said as long as its a dedicated lighting circuit and doesn't exceed 80% of the total load that I could put the entire house on one circuit with LED lights if I wanted lol. Peace of mind there considering Im going to split mine up a bit anyway. -- In Manitoba.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:35 pm

That is the perfect person to ask for your area. Glad it’s a go!