Fitting new construction recessed light fixtures in smaller joist spaces

Ask your electrical related questions here
awcool

Fitting new construction recessed light fixtures in smaller joist spaces

Post by awcool » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:44 am

Hi,

I just bought some new construction recessed light fixtures (similar to this - https://www.amazon.ca/Liteline-Corporat ... 00FDKXHAW/). The problem is that the hanger bar is minimum 13.5” long whereas some of my ceiling joists are only 8-10” apart. Is there a way for me to cut the mounting bar so that it will fit in some of these smaller joist spaces? If so, how would I go about doing that? I have a reciprocating saw and mitre saw at my disposal.

Thanks!

Shannon

Re: Fitting new construction recessed light fixtures in smaller joist spaces

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:36 am

Its been a long time since I installed lights like that but I believe one half of each arm is fixed in place but if you pull out the other half you can likely cut them with aviation snips so they will slide in more?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am

Hmm, that's a tough one, but I'm inclined to say you should not tamper with the rails because you could be altering the design of the light and essentially delisting it (CSA/UL). Only because the rails are designed so if they are collapsed into their smallest spacing, that would be the minimum required spacing around the light (from a heat/fire/safety perspective).

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Aaron wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:52 am
Hmm, that's a tough one, but I'm inclined to say you should not tamper with the rails because you could be altering the design of the light and essentially delisting it (CSA/UL). Only because the rails are designed so if they are collapsed into their smallest spacing, that would be the minimum required spacing around the light (from a heat/fire/safety perspective).
Hmm you could have a very good point with that! I never thought of that issue.

Maybe "awcool" you should look at some different lights. One of the newest types are the "slim" LEDs. they would be a good fit for what you are doing and they are installed after the drywall. They come in a large array of different sizes/watts/lumens/shapes and finishes. Some now come with adjustable K (color) output as well usually 3000,4000,5000.
Here is an example of the "slims".https://www.amazon.com/OSTWIN-Recessed- ... +led&psc=1
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:30 pm

Or contact the manufacturer of the lights you propose to modify and see if it's ok.

awcool

Post by awcool » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I figured it out after calling the store that sold them to me.

There are 2 grooves in both the “sliding” arm as well as the “fixed” arm that are designed to help you cut them in those spots (by simply bending the arms with pliers) and therefore shrink the size of the hanger bars.

The unit is IC rated and those arms are nothing more than a mechanism to allow you to position the light exactly where you want it between the studs. So cutting the arms has no impact on the rating, especially along the precut slits.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Perfect!